+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit rejected on the basis of intention to not leave Canada

ep90

Oct 19, 2018
I got accepted to Seneca College for the summer semester 2019, and applied for a study permit on September 21, 2018, together with an open work permit for my common-law partner. I received a rejection today, and here are the reasons provided by the immigration officer:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
  1. immigration status in country of residence
  2. family ties in Canada and in country of residence
  3. purpose of visit
  4. employment prospects in country of residence
  5. current employment situation
Both me and my common-law partner live as expats in the Middle East. My partner has a very good job here, and I own a company. In all honesty, we actually would like to reside in Canada permanently after my studies are finished.

As far as I understand, I cannot appeal to the decision. We are planning on applying once more with a letter of explanation, and include proof of ownership of my company and a car we own here. But, to be completely honest, we don't have that much that ties us to where we currently reside.

Also, my partner has already made an Express Entry application, but her score is definitely not enough to be selected. Should we better cancel that application?

Is there any point in applying again? I am really hoping that there is a way to get a positive response with a new application, but I'm not really sure what to change? Should we mention that we are interested in staying in Canada permanently if an opportunity arises? As far as I understand, dual-intent is not a reason to reject an applicant, but I'm not sure how to mention it without making it a red flag for the officer. We really have no intention of staying in Canada as illegal immigrants, but if we're able to become permanent residence, we would like to stay.

In this case, what do you recommend? Is it maybe a better idea to apply once more with the guidance of an immigration agency or a lawyer?

Naeem_Process

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
I got accepted to Seneca College for the summer semester 2019, and applied for a study permit on September 21, 2018, together with an open work permit for my common-law partner. I received a rejection today, and here are the reasons provided by the immigration officer:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
  3. purpose of visit
Both me and my common-law partner live as expats in the Middle East. My partner has a very good job here, and I own a company. In all honesty, we actually would like to reside in Canada permanently after my studies are finished.

As far as I understand, I cannot appeal to the decision. We are planning on applying once more with a letter of explanation, and include proof of ownership of my company and a car we own here. But, to be completely honest, we don't have that much that ties us to where we currently reside.

Also, my partner has already made an Express Entry application, but her score is definitely not enough to be selected. Should we better cancel that application?

Is there any point in applying again? I am really hoping that there is a way to get a positive response with a new application, but I'm not really sure what to change? Should we mention that we are interested in staying in Canada permanently if an opportunity arises? As far as I understand, dual-intent is not a reason to reject an applicant, but I'm not sure how to mention it without making it a red flag for the officer. We really have no intention of staying in Canada as illegal immigrants, but if we're able to become permanent residence, we would like to stay.

In this case, what do you recommend? Is it maybe a better idea to apply once more with the guidance of an immigration agency or a lawyer?

@ep90 dear It has happened with me with these same kinds of reasons which you mentioned. I also applied online together with my spouse open work permit application but rejected. Although I have ties to my home country, because of my family job there, but they damn care, they just reject with these stupid remarks,

The language of remarks made by VO seems to be of Riyadh Embassy, , isn't that so?

Now I have applied again, on 17th Sep but still no response from the embassy.

ep90

Oct 19, 2018
@Naeem_Process It sounds similar. I will apply again as well, but I want to know if there is anything I can do to improve my chances.

Good luck with your application.

Gtessy

Nov 2, 2018

3. purpose of visit

I will advise you reapply if u have reasons to counter the reason for rejection raised by the V.O. However, don't ever give an impression that you want to stay back after your studies, that will be a red flag for you. Focus on why you are going to Canada. You may need to contact an immigration lawyer to assist you repackage your aplication. Good luck.