+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refused - Syrian applying from UAE

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Good evening UAE time,

I have been lurking around the forum for a while now. I have applied for my Canadian study permit for a decision and I was unfortunately refused. Syrian, born and raised in Dubai, 21 y/o.

• Accepted to the University of Windsor for MEng Civil Engineering for May 2019 intake.
  • BSc Civil Engineering from the United Arab Emirates (3.2/4.0)
Application timeline
  • Sep 5: Applied online
  • Sep 28: Called for biometrics
  • Sep 29: Completed biometrics
  • Oct 18: Review for eligibility started, received refusal letter an hour later.
Please do note that every comment is solely based on my very own opinion and I am not experienced enough to interpret the data. In addition, I have recently requested for GCMS notes for a professional and accurate interpretation.

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
  • immigration status in country of residence
  • purpose of visit
  • employment prospects in country of residence
  • current employment situation
Immigration status in country of residence. I am currently on a Student Visa in the UAE and my university is the sponsor, which will expire in March 2019, already graduated. It could have raised a red flag that I will no longer have any immigration status in the UAE at that time, trying to see it from a VO point of view.

Purpose of visit. I never understood this and I need clarification on this.

Employment prospects in country of residence. I have stated in my LOE that I will be working with my uncle, who has an engineering consulting company but did not provide with any sufficient documentation whatsoever.

Current employment situation. As of July 2018, I graduated and I have no intentions apart from focusing on my studies. I have worked part-time with my uncle till I fly to Canada to continue my studies and I am capable of bringing sufficient documentation to support this statement.

What's your input on this?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Its always difficult when not applying from country of citizenship, since you will no longer have status in UAE it is even a bigger problem. I think being from Syria probably complicates things more since you have more incentive to remain in Canada.
Ideally you would prove strong ties to your home country, I have no idea how you can manage to do that though.

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Its always difficult when not applying from country of citizenship, since you will no longer have status in UAE it is even a bigger problem. I think being from Syria probably complicates things more since you have more incentive to remain in Canada.
Ideally you would prove strong ties to your home country, I have no idea how you can manage to do that though.
I am in process of changing my status from Student to Civil Engineer for 3 years where I would be legally tied to a company for three years, enough time for me to complete my studies in Canada and return. I’m here to study in Canada for an increased competitive edge in the market and I have no intentions of remaining in Canada. My entire family is here and we have numerous engineering companies, so finding a job is not a thing to worry about.

What do you think?