+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDY PERMIT REFUSED GCMS NOTES DETAILS HELP!!!

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018
Case reviewed.Principal Applicant(PA) is a 41yr. old Nigerian national living in primarily in Singapore since 2014, and was accepted into a 1-yr Post -grad Certificate program at Centennial College in Supply Chain Management.
PA is residing with his spouse and 3 dependents; all are listed as non-accompanying. PA's highest credential is an associate's degree that he obtained in 2017, and has been working as a business & logistics manager since graduation.In his letter of intent,PA indicates that he would like to improve his English while in Canada. No IELTS/ language assessment on file. Given PA's education and professional background,he has not adequately demonstrated why he is seeking another credential at this time. His intended program of study is illogical.Moreover, PA's brother has provided financial docs in support this application.while i have considered these additional documents, i have concerns about PA's level of establishment and ability to support himself during his studies.Based on the above and docs before me, i am also satisfied PA has a compelling reason for travel and that he would return from Canada at end of an authorized stay. Refused

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
There are two reasons : 1. Your educational background in the past(without IELTS) looks like they aren't satisfied why you are seeking further education. It seems this additional degree does not add to your professional career.
2. Whatever financial documents you have shown as support they think you don't have enough finances to support your stay in Canada during your education.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They don't believe you're a genuine student.

They are concerned that you only have an Associate's Degree, which would not normally lead to a post-grad certificate. Normally you'd start with at least a bachelor's degree.

Further, as you've been living outside of your home country since 2014, you are not clearly established in Singapore and it's not clear that you wouldn't try to stay in Canada after your studies.

Basically, they don't believe you're a genuine student.

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018

They are concerned that you only have an Associate's Degree, which would not normally lead to a post-grad certificate. Normally you'd start with at least a bachelor's degree.

Further, as you've been living outside of your home country since 2014, you are not clearly established in Singapore and it's not clear that you wouldn't try to stay in Canada after your studies.

Thanks any suggestion will help

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018
There are two reasons : 1. Your educational background in the past(without IELTS) looks like they aren't satisfied why you are seeking further education. It seems this additional degree does not add to your professional career.
2. Whatever financial documents you have shown as support they think you don't have enough finances to support your stay in Canada during your education.

Thank you for the input any suggestion about the education background? Does it mean (Advanced diploma)? The financial document submitted the balance did not show from available balance has at the time of printing the statement of account of 4month. The balance never show but fund is available at the time of visa processing and statement of account request. 45k Cad

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the input any suggestion about the education background? Does it mean (Advanced diploma)? The financial document submitted the balance did not show from available balance has at the time of printing the statement of account of 4month. The balance never show but fund is available at the time of visa processing and statement of account request. 45k Cad
45k would mean that almost all your brother’s savings would be used for your studies. It is very unlikely your family will be approved to join you in Canada if you are able to get a study permit. You don’t have a bachelors degree. I am surprised you were admitted to the program actually. You don’t have strong ties to Nigeria having lived in Singapore for 6 years so it wI’ll be really hard to show you wil return to Nigeria after your studies. Given you have a spouse and 3 children and not enough savings to pay for your studies it doesn’t make sense to return to school and study abroad and spend a large amount of money unless your spouse is working and can support the rest of your family financially.

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018
45k would mean that almost all your brother’s savings would be used for your studies. It is very unlikely your family will be approved to join you in Canada if you are able to get a study permit. You don’t have a bachelors degree. I am surprised you were admitted to the program actually. You don’t have strong ties to Nigeria having lived in Singapore for 6 years so it wI’ll be really hard to show you wil return to Nigeria after your studies. Given you have a spouse and 3 children and not enough savings to pay for your studies it doesn’t make sense to return to school and study abroad and spend a large amount of money unless your spouse is working and can support the rest of your family financially.
Thank you for the input however about the financial aspect, well the total fund available was 95k Cad, the amount balance in my personal account is 45k,while the 50kCad to support. original balance is around 350k Cad. Secondly the Associate degree (Singapore), got admission offer from three colleges Centennial, George brown and Seneca. All Post Graduate Certificate Program.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you for the input however about the financial aspect, well the total fund available was 95k Cad, the amount balance in my personal account is 45k,while the 50kCad to support. original balance is around 350k Cad. Secondly the Associate degree (Singapore), got admission offer from three colleges Centennial, George brown and Seneca. All Post Graduate Certificate Program.
The visa officer is not acertain that you will depart Canada at the end of your stay, given your profile. The visa officer does not satisfied that you can support yourself in Canada while also having a spouse and 3 dependants. You yourself don't have the adequate funds to support your studies and need to rely on relatives, even though you're already 41 years old. Obviously the visa officers can see that you're trying use a study permit to get to Canada in order to work and that's your only goal and the study plan is completely irrelevant.

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018
Thank you all for the input however none give any useful info as way forwward though the VO concern is noted however if anyone have suggestion should do that rather repeat same info. I am 41 years old is irrelevant some older got approval.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you all for the input however none give any useful info as way forwward though the VO concern is noted however if anyone have suggestion should do that rather repeat same info. I am 41 years old is irrelevant some older got approval.
The visa officer know exactly what you're trying to do. Its not gonna work. They process thousands of applications a week, they know how to spot a non-genuine student.

Why travel halfway across the world to do a measly certificate program then fly another round trip back home? How do you justify the cost that you're going to spend to match for career in your home country? What is so special about it that you have to spend thousands of dollars? Why can't you do one in Singapore or in your home country where it will be cheaper and worth it. Obviously the visa officer would not believe you are leaving Canada...

gentlemate00

Aug 28, 2018

The graduate certificate requires university degree or 3-yr diploma, and i think your associate degree is equivalent to 3-yr diploma.

I will reapply and follow some tips here. For someone saying is not going to work should not worry about that lot of student got approval doing same program of course they could have done the same course in their home country. Everyone case is different and will reapply again.

Last edited: