+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refusal - Family Ties in Canada

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hello,

Does having a full brother in Canada weaken your study permit application?

I am just basing from people's reports here saying that the reason for their refusal was: "Family Ties in Canada and Country of Residence"

I understand the issues with Country of Residence but why is "Family Ties in Canada" a strong factor for refusal?

Please share your knowledge, insights and experiences with this.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Ulref

Dec 22, 2020
Yes, it’s a strong disadvantage but like everything it can be fixed showing strong ties to your home country like properties on your name, loans, a job, that you still have family there like parents or other siblings or simply stating that you are the person who provide in the house

Reactions: trivvoxx

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It can be one reason but if you have strong ties to your home country then you may be fine. Many refusals for “country of residence” is because people are living and working in a country that is not their country of citizenship.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Yes, it’s a strong disadvantage but like everything it can be fixed showing strong ties to your home country like properties on your name, loans, a job, that you still have family there like parents or other siblings or simply stating that you are the person who provide in the house
Thank you for the response. It is quite disappointing that this is even a factor for refusal, eh?

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
It can be one reason but if you have strong ties to your home country then you may be fine. Many refusals for “country of residence” is because people are living and working in a country that is not their country of citizenship.
Thank you for the response. I am familiar with the refusal "Country of Residence". What I do not understand is why having Family Ties in Canada a highly probable demerit to a Study Permit application. I don't follow the logic behind it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the response. I am familiar with the refusal "Country of Residence". What I do not understand is why having Family Ties in Canada a highly probable demerit to a Study Permit application. I don't follow the logic behind it.
it is logical. If you have family living in Canada, you have less reasons to return home and less ties to your home country.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
it is logical. If you have family living in Canada, you have less reasons to return home and less ties to your home country.
Thank you.

So if you have family both in Canada, and in your Country of Residence, you have a better chance of being approved for the SP if your family ties to your Home Country is stronger?

For example, you only have 1x direct family in Canada, and 3x in Home Country.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Wow!

Are you flying 6, 4 or 2 weeks before start of your program? May 2021 correct?
What I did was overkill, people have gotten approved showing lesser. It should outweigh what one has in Canada. That's it. You can show assets of other's name like your parents only if you are complementing it with showing something on your name.

Showing assets purely of other's ownership like your parents won't be considered usually if you are sending that alone. However its considered for dependants (below 18)

Yes May 2021, still deciding when to travel.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
What I did was overkill, people have gotten approved showing lesser. It should outweigh what one has in Canada. That's it. You can show assets of other's name like your parents only if you are complementing it with showing something on your name.

Showing assets purely of other's ownership like your parents won't be considered usually if you are sending that alone. However its considered for dependants (below 18)

Yes May 2021, still deciding when to travel.
This is a great insight thank you so much!