+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for Fall 2020 (POE vs Outside APP, POE Help)

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
I'm a US Citizen who was delighted to get an acceptance for Fall 2020 for their Master's program of choice. Then COVID19 hit. Everything is pretty much closed here (quarantine!) and putting in an application currently would be insane, if not impossible. Has anyone ever applied at a POE? I know as a US Citizen I would be allowed to--but does anyone have any advice on doing so, preparing for that, and overall think this would be reasonable thing to do whenever the travel ban is lifted? (assuming it's lifted before the summer ends, otherwise then there's obviously, yikes, other, bigger problems.)

Additionally, I have been reading that only certain POE points issue student permits--does anyone know, specifically which ones do? I can't seem to find a guide for that, unless it's the obvious point such as the toronto airport (and truthfully, I might not want to take an airplane so soon after everything that's been going on/might simply be more comfortable driving up to school.) I would be crossing over from the East Coast, so somewhere within Ontario is preferable.

I know a lot is uncertain now and if you don't know and read this that's a-okay. I do really appreciate any help on figuring this out. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm a US Citizen who was delighted to get an acceptance for Fall 2020 for their Master's program of choice. Then COVID19 hit. Everything is pretty much closed here (quarantine!) and putting in an application currently would be insane, if not impossible. Has anyone ever applied at a POE? I know as a US Citizen I would be allowed to--but does anyone have any advice on doing so, preparing for that, and overall think this would be reasonable thing to do whenever the travel ban is lifted? (assuming it's lifted before the summer ends, otherwise then there's obviously, yikes, other, bigger problems.)

Additionally, I have been reading that only certain POE points issue student permits--does anyone know, specifically which ones do? I can't seem to find a guide for that, unless it's the obvious point such as the toronto airport (and truthfully, I might not want to take an airplane so soon after everything that's been going on/might simply be more comfortable driving up to school.) I would be crossing over from the East Coast, so somewhere within Ontario is preferable.

I know a lot is uncertain now and if you don't know and read this that's a-okay. I do really appreciate any help on figuring this out. Thank you.
Many Americans apply at the border. You just carry the same documents that you would otherwise have submitted in an app to IRCC.

All POEs can process study permits.

Note that it is not the best idea to enter months before your studies start; there is a higher chance of being refused by CBSA. You aren't allowed to work until you actually start studying.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you for answering. I'm glad to hear that many Americans do apply at the border. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I do have a few follow up questions, that I hope you won't mind answering. You mentioned I would need to bring with me whatever I put in my app--however, would I still need to obtain biometrics or a police certificate before hand? (It doesn't seem to require that if I do if I apply at the border, but I'd like to double check and be sure so I'm not missing something.)

With the travel ban I know I wouldn't be able to enter before June 30th. Assuming that's lifted then, would coming sometime in July (and/or August) be a problem for a program that starts the first week of September? (I believe orientation is sometime in August, but need to double check.) I did reach out to my program and they said students are encouraged to come early because there is a fair amount of travel time involved and an acclimation to new settings, (and the good ol' apartment hunt to take into consideration, of course.) However, I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter as I certainly don't want to come TOO early and then have that accidentally work against me.

I'm also aware that I wouldn't be able to work during that time (and have planned funds for a reasonable amount of time beforehand along with travel/emergencies/etc., just in case.) Thank you again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for answering. I'm glad to hear that many Americans do apply at the border. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I do have a few follow up questions, that I hope you won't mind answering. You mentioned I would need to bring with me whatever I put in my app--however, would I still need to obtain biometrics or a police certificate before hand? (It doesn't seem to require that if I do if I apply at the border, but I'd like to double check and be sure so I'm not missing something.)

With the travel ban I know I wouldn't be able to enter before June 30th. Assuming that's lifted then, would coming sometime in July (and/or August) be a problem for a program that starts the first week of September? (I believe orientation is sometime in August, but need to double check.) I did reach out to my program and they said students are encouraged to come early because there is a fair amount of travel time involved and an acclimation to new settings, (and the good ol' apartment hunt to take into consideration, of course.) However, I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter as I certainly don't want to come TOO early and then have that accidentally work against me.

I'm also aware that I wouldn't be able to work during that time (and have planned funds for a reasonable amount of time beforehand along with travel/emergencies/etc., just in case.) Thank you again.
Americans don't give biometrics unless applying for PR. If you need a PCC to apply, then bring one.

Later July or August should be fine. CBSA doesn't like students arriving too early because of the suspicion that they will work illegally before school starts. Many enter earlier without issue but it is always dependent on the CBSA officer you get at entry.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you again for the helpful response. I do apologize I wrote biometrics in lieu of another document that I might have needed. I might double check with my University about the police certificate (I myself don't have any criminal history, but, and am checking as we speak about application requirements, I don't why I thought the out of country application required everyone to get one. Perhaps I'm just overworrying and misremembering--a very feasible habit and product of anxiety during these times!)

I will certainly take that info in account in regards to when to apply. Truthfully, I just hope things are open by then.

Those are all the questions I have for now. Thank you again. This has really helped me feel better about being stuck in a holding pattern right now, especially one that's going to last for a while.