+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension

French_guy

Jul 27, 2023
Hi
Can I enter Canada with a study permit that will expire within 2 months?
The goal is to enter Canada with my current study permit to resume class in September, and file for a study permit extension as soon as I'm in Canada (which will give more than the 30 days recommended by IRCC)
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
Can I enter Canada with a study permit that will expire within 2 months?
The goal is to enter Canada with my current study permit to resume class in September, and file for a study permit extension as soon as I'm in Canada (which will give more than the 30 days recommended by IRCC)
Thanks
Assume this is for your daughter. Yes as long as she has TRV/ETA.

French_guy

Jul 27, 2023
Corr
Assume this is for your daughter. Yes as long as she has TRV/ETA.
Correct, it's for my daughter
She doesn't have a TRV but a valid ETA linked to her passport
Since the plan is for her to submit a study permit extension as soon as she is on Canadian soil, I'm trying to confirm immigration won't give her troubles with a study permit expiring "soon" (slightly less than 2 months)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Corr

Correct, it's for my daughter
She doesn't have a TRV but a valid ETA linked to her passport
Since the plan is for her to submit a study permit extension as soon as she is on Canadian soil, I'm trying to confirm immigration won't give her troubles with a study permit expiring "soon" (slightly less than 2 months)
No issue.

Reactions: top_gun

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Hey @natugrl, I have a similar query, could u spare a minute that could help me:

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:

1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada without the extended study permit? Any issues immigration can give
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey @natugrl, I have a similar query, could u spare a minute that could help me:

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:

1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada without the extended study permit? Any issues immigration can give
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?
Did you apply for extension before you left? If so read the link.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Did you apply for extension before you left? If so read the link.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308
Thank you for the link. I applied for study permit extension after I left Canada. The current processing time is 2 months and I am going back next month in August, and my old permit is till Sep 30, 2024. Regarding Point 2 from link : Will THEY allow me to re-nter Canada as a student on basis of my old study permit ?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the link. I applied for study permit extension after I left Canada. The current processing time is 2 months and I am going back next month in August, and my old permit is till Sep 30, 2024. Regarding Point 2 from link : Will THEY allow me to re-nter Canada as a student on basis of my old study permit ?
You cannot apply for an extension outside of Canada. If outside of Canada, you apply for a new study permit. So not sure what processing times you are looking at.

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
You cannot apply for an extension outside of Canada. If outside of Canada, you apply for a new study permit. So not sure what processing times you are looking at.
I have a valid TRV till September 30, and old study permit till September 30, so I believe I can re-enter canada. Its just that my completion letter was delayed and I had already booked my flights, so I had to apply for SP extension from my home country. I didn't realize I will be applygin from "outside canada" Appreciate your inputs !

Rinki_1

Jul 27, 2024
Hi,
I have a question, last month I applied for my study permit extension which is about to expired on 30 sept 2024, and this month 2 days ago I received a refusal with the incorrect reasons of insufficient funds and not working in Canada. But I do provide the documents of my bank balance and where they can see my funds coming from, also at that time my own balance was 10,000 cad I'm not sure how the IRCC officer found this amount insufficient, because I work part-time, yet they say in the letter that I'm not working.

Can anyone suggest what i need to care about while reapplying for the same? or any suggestion, please!!