+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension

bidahzin

Oct 10, 2017
Hey everyone,
I've read several posts from people who applied for an extension but most of them were from 2019 and before, so I'd like to ask any of you who might have had applied for an extension recently:
in regards to proof of funds, how much money is needed? When I first applied for my permit, it was required 12k CAD, but I've read posts from people saying they had their application approved with 2k to 3k CAD in their bank account. So my question is: can anyone who recently went through this give me an idea on how much is needed to be approved?

Also, throughout my first years of college, I have always worked part-time and full-time during college breaks in order to maintain myself without the help of my family overseas. With that being said, should I write a letter of explanation or attach my tax information to the file? Or is a bank statement with the amount I have on it enough?

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Eduardo

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hey everyone,
I've read several posts from people who applied for an extension but most of them were from 2019 and before, so I'd like to ask any of you who might have had applied for an extension recently:
in regards to proof of funds, how much money is needed? When I first applied for my permit, it was required 12k CAD, but I've read posts from people saying they had their application approved with 2k to 3k CAD in their bank account. So my question is: can anyone who recently went through this give me an idea on how much is needed to be approved?

Also, throughout my first years of college, I have always worked part-time and full-time during college breaks in order to maintain myself without the help of my family overseas. With that being said, should I write a letter of explanation or attach my tax information to the file? Or is a bank statement with the amount I have on it enough?

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Eduardo
Hi,

Ideally proof of funds should cover the duration of the extension (living expenses plus tuition fees) however based on some of the threads here and my experience, i think for extensions they are much more lenient. For me- i showed just around $3k (remaining gic, submitted a screenshot of my gic account) plus tuition fee receipt for my 1st sem (taking up another 1yr program). I also included recent payslips of my spouse (he is on owp) as part of my source of funds. We recently just received approval for our extension app (sp ext for me and wp ext for my spouse).

For you, i think recent account bank statement, recent payslips, tuition fee receipt would be fine (this is also based on what my classmate shared about the proof of funds he submitted. He also got approved).
Rule of thumb: the more source/proof of funds you can show the better :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: darlensingh

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Eduardo

Hello,

I had applied for extension on July 2019.
Showed the full fees+living expenses.

Now with COVID and everything going on lately, loss of jobs etc, if you are telling the officer, you will work and support yourself, that will weaken your application. It's advisable to show all the money.

With that being said, there have been cases were many were approved with less funds.
IRCC may/can impose the requirements as needed.

darlensingh

Mar 8, 2019
Hi,

Ideally proof of funds should cover the duration of the extension (living expenses plus tuition fees) however based on some of the threads here and my experience, i think for extensions they are much more lenient. For me- i showed just around $3k (remaining gic, submitted a screenshot of my gic account) plus tuition fee receipt for my 1st sem (taking up another 1yr program). I also included recent payslips of my spouse (he is on owp) as part of my source of funds. We recently just received approval for our extension app (sp ext for me and wp ext for my spouse).

For you, i think recent account bank statement, recent payslips, tuition fee receipt would be fine (this is also based on what my classmate shared about the proof of funds he submitted. He also got approved).
Rule of thumb: the more source/proof of funds you can show the better :)

Hope this helps.
Hi!
thank you so much for this i really needed this too. i was just wondering,did you include a letter of explanation? My father supports my studies and he currently has a work permit but I'm not sure if i should include a supporting letter from him.