+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Expiry after Withdrawal from Studies!

nandpate

Dec 19, 2012
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how long am I allowed to be in this country once I withdraw from my study program?

I am assuming that the withdrawal from the study program will automatically expire my study permit, right?

Thanks in advance!

NP

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nandpate said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how long am I allowed to be in this country once I withdraw from my study program?

I am assuming that the withdrawal from the study program will automatically expire my study permit, right?

Thanks in advance!

NP
No, you can remain as a visitor until your study permit expires.

studentvisa13

Jan 13, 2013
Hi PMM,

Are you really sure about this? I believe there are some new rules gone into effect on after 18 december.

If one asks for withdrawal and refund from a college, the college wants to see an offer from another college - they will transfer the tuition fee directly to the other college.

Secondly, if there is no other offer letter (incase the person just wants to postpone), they are asking to leave the country, they ask to show confirmed return ticket. The refund will be processed after the departure date. And they further mention that they will inform CIC about the issue. Does it mean that the study permit is cancelled, if the person is not in college?
(george brown add wwwDOTwithdrwal georgebrown.ca/international/application-process/refund
cenntennial withdrawal add wwwDOTcentennialcollege.ca/international/withdraw

If anyone knows, please do share along with the source.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

studentvisa13 said:
Hi PMM,

Are you really sure about this? I believe there are some new rules gone into effect on after 18 december.

If one asks for withdrawal and refund from a college, the college wants to see an offer from another college - they will transfer the tuition fee directly to the other college.

Secondly, if there is no other offer letter (incase the person just wants to postpone), they are asking to leave the country, they ask to show confirmed return ticket. The refund will be processed after the departure date. And they further mention that they will inform CIC about the issue. Does it mean that the study permit is cancelled, if the person is not in college?
(george brown add wwwDOTwithdrwal georgebrown.ca/international/application-process/refund
cenntennial withdrawal add wwwDOTcentennialcollege.ca/international/withdraw

If anyone knows, please do share along with the source.

Thank you.
1. It is not the college's decision whether you leave the country or not, it is CIC. A study permit, is just a visitor permit with permission to study. If you don't study you can remain until the expiry of the permit.
2. The changes you quote are for discussion, no regulations are in place as yet.
3. They may not give you a refund of tuition fees, but that is between you and the college, CIC has no interest.

studentvisa13

Jan 13, 2013
Hi PMM, thanks for the reply.

Actually im in discussion with the college right now and its just stressful. 8grand is a huge money.

Anyways, i checked with CIC as well and they say that if I leave the country now because that's the only way i will get my money back, CIC will cancel my visa.

The whole issue is I applied for study permit only to stay in country while my CEC application is in process. i've got AOR. but medical im expecting somewhere in May. My work permit expired in November. Wish the Bridging Open Work Permit had started at that time, but well, it didnt. I'm trying to get another job, but employers are so shy of going through LMO process, forget ALMOs.

So at that time, i applied for study permit to remain in the country. Going back seems to be an expensive option, more than $3000 expense, plus all my stuffs are here. Everyone, even a lawyer suggested to just an admission and then withdraw later. I got the admission by November 20. And then these new rules were pasted on college websites by 18th December.

Completely clue less as what should i do now.

The college says, the will either transfer the fee to another college, or if i show return ticket then they will send me the fee after my departure. they will also report to CIC that im no longer student in the college. What if i show them the ticket, and then cancel the ticket later and dont fly?