+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit exemption - travel

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Hi,

I have been living and studying in Canada since 2016. I’m exempted from the bordure closure because my study permit was issued well before March 18, 2020 . I have a lease for 2020/2021 in Canada, SIN, and a bank account in Canada. I can also provide bills of utilities paid for my Canadian place. Do you think that could be enough to prove that Canada is my primary place of residency? What should I add to be potentially allowed to enter Canada? I actually have to be there because all my stuff is in the storage and I need to be able to get it before the contract expires, I also need to get access to my apartment.
P.S i know many first time flyers are denied entry to Canada even though they are exempted but I’m assuming since I do have history living in Canada mine would be different.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Study Permit holders that received it before march 18 have generally been allowed to re-enter
I know. I wasn’t worried but I started seeing that people who had study permit exemption were rejected. However they were first time in Canada

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Also, what do you think of me entering Canada 5 days before my study permit expires? I applied for extension outside of Canada.
Entering and leaving Canada is based on your visa not your study permit. Your study permit is the validity of your status when you are in Canada.

E.g. you can have expired visa and still be in status when you are in canada as long as you have a valid study permit

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
thanks for the information. My study permit and TRV expires on 31st of August, 2020. Both at the same time. I’m planning on coming back on 27th of August, would that be bad? Like do you think that could affect permission to enter Canada since I’m coming back 3 days before expiry of my TRV and study permit.

Last edited:

sevgisahin

Nov 25, 2019
Hello, @annaturner did you go to Canada now? did they allow you to enter? I am in the same situation with you and thinking of applying for an extension outside Canada and enter before my current visa and study permit expires. Did you have any problem applying for extension from outside Canada?