+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Clause - No Off Campus Work Authorised

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Hi folks,

I arrived into Pearson yesterday morning, and received my study permit. Super quick and easy process. From landing to being in the arrivals area took 45 mins (most of that time was waiting for baggage).

However, my study permit has a clause saying "This permit does not authorise the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada". It also has a remark at the bottom saying "May accept employment only ON campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(F).

My program is a 2 year diploma at Centennial College, full time. It's in the trades. As per IRCC website, my program meets all of the requirements to allow me to do off campus work.
I have just filled in the form for amendment to my study permit, as I believe that the clause was put on the permit erroneously. I never changed DLI/program, from application through to entry.

Before I send off this form, I just wanted to check if there are any potential reasons as to why this clause would have been put on my permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It may be wrong to you but not the officers. The government has changed rules and wants students coming to Canada to study and not work so maybe you are lucky you can work on campus. It will take up to 6 months for a decision. Good Luck.

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Thanks for your input. Working in admin for over 15 years prior to this move, I am well versed in people making administrative mistakes. Perhaps this is a mistake, perhaps not. However, checking governmental policies I cannot find it written anywhere where policy would dictate that someone in my position would be restricted to on campus work. In fact, the website has a specific workflow for people that had restrictions put on their permits incorrectly, which tells you something.

Incidentally, I am here to study - it is a complete career change for me (I'm getting ahead of the AI job cuts), but getting some work experience in my new field would also be beneficial to my future prospects. On campus work would not achieve that. The government is also raising the weekly term time cap from 20 - 24 for international students, so the comment about them not wanting people to work doesn't hold much water.

I'll send off the forms to the address in Ottawa and report back once I hear news either way.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Thanks for your input. Working in admin for over 15 years prior to this move, I am well versed in people making administrative mistakes. Perhaps this is a mistake, perhaps not. However, checking governmental policies I cannot find it written anywhere where policy would dictate that someone in my position would be restricted to on campus work. In fact, the website has a specific workflow for people that had restrictions put on their permits incorrectly, which tells you something.

Incidentally, I am here to study - it is a complete career change for me (I'm getting ahead of the AI job cuts), but getting some work experience in my new field would also be beneficial to my future prospects. On campus work would not achieve that. The government is also raising the weekly term time cap from 20 - 24 for international students, so the comment about them not wanting people to work doesn't hold much water.

I'll send off the forms to the address in Ottawa and report back once I hear news either way.
IRCC will change that condition if you meet all the requirements. CBSA probably added that condition as you are here almost a month before school starts.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

On a side note though, Centennial College is a diploma mill and I don't think any of those programs lead to a real career path other than (unrelated) minimum wage jobs. All the best!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
IRCC will change that condition if you meet all the requirements. CBSA probably added that condition as you are here almost a month before school starts.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

On a side note though, Centennial College is a diploma mill and I don't think any of those programs lead to a real career path other than (unrelated) minimum wage jobs. All the best!
It depends on the trade. Centennial College has some good trades programs. Every other program is probably not worth it.

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Thank you both for your input, once again.

Forevermore76, I’d revisit your definition of a diploma mill. Centennial is the oldest public community college in Ontario, and while I agree some of the qualifications gained there may be of use to neither man or beast, they have a good reputation with certain trades where you can easily be earning 100k+ within a couple of years of graduation. They do not sell diplomas.

To circle back to the topic; I’ll send off the paperwork on Tuesday and report back when I have a decision, so at least we can see the outcome and the timeline.

All the best

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you both for your input, once again.

Forevermore76, I’d revisit your definition of a diploma mill. Centennial is the oldest public community college in Ontario, and while I agree some of the qualifications gained there may be of use to neither man or beast, they have a good reputation with certain trades where you can easily be earning 100k+ within a couple of years of graduation. They do not sell diplomas.

To circle back to the topic; I’ll send off the paperwork on Tuesday and report back when I have a decision, so at least we can see the outcome and the timeline.

All the best
Centennial is one of the better ones of the public colleges

Reactions: PabloSektman

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Just to close the loop on this: I sent off my forms to Ottawa September 6th, and on October 7th had the confirmation via email that the restrictions were removed and that a new, amended study permit has been posted to my address, allowing me to work off campus etc.

So, it was incorrect (needing amending) and it took 4 weeks to do so. Hope this information helps someone.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Just to close the loop on this: I sent off my forms to Ottawa September 6th, and on October 7th had the confirmation via email that the restrictions were removed and that a new, amended study permit has been posted to my address, allowing me to work off campus etc.

So, it was incorrect (needing amending) and it took 4 weeks to do so. Hope this information helps someone.
I'm glad you found a solution. Kudos for sharing it here for people in the future encountering similar issues.

Reactions: PabloSektman

havovivi

Oct 16, 2024

Hi there I’m glad to hear that your issue has been solved, I have the same problem as you, may I asked what the form is that. I really appreciate that.