+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Bridge Extension

mb0602

May 19, 2020
Hello, I needed some advice regarding my study permit extension. My final exam for the completion of my degree is on August 21st and my permit expires on August 31st. I wanted to extend my study permit by a month so that I have sufficient time to apply for my PGWP. Can someone tell me how I can apply for the bridging extension and how much proof of funds I need to show if I'm just extending my permit by a month, thank you!

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I needed some advice regarding my study permit extension. My final exam for the completion of my degree is on August 21st and my permit expires on August 31st. I wanted to extend my study permit by a month so that I have sufficient time to apply for my PGWP. Can someone tell me how I can apply for the bridging extension and how much proof of funds I need to show if I'm just extending my permit by a month, thank you!
There is no bridge option per say. You can either extend your study permit or switch to a visitor visa for the purposes of your PGWP

mb0602

May 19, 2020
Hi, I wanted to extend my study permit because I want to be able to work on my PGWP implied status, which is not possible if one switches to a visitor visa. Just wanted to know the amount I need to show in my proof of funds since I'm merely asking for a month's extension

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much proof of funds do I need to show?
Not an exact amount. Explain your situation that you need more time to get your final marks and proof of graduation so that you can apply for PGWP. Would apply as soon as possible because it will take numerous months and you need the extension if you want to apply for PGWP after August 31.

mb0602

May 19, 2020
Not an exact amount. Explain your situation that you need more time to get your final marks and proof of graduation so that you can apply for PGWP. Would apply as soon as possible because it will take numerous months and you need the extension if you want to apply for PGWP after August 31.
Thank you so much! I think the extension should be fine because as soon as I have implied status for my study permit I can apply for my PGWP under that!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Include a letter explaining that you want a 3 months bridge to apply for PGWP. You shouldnt need to show too much money just enough to support yourself for the time.
While you can apply for PGWP with implied status you wont be allowed to work until you get the PGWP.

Reactions: canuck78

mb0602

May 19, 2020
Include a letter explaining that you want a 3 months bridge to apply for PGWP. You shouldnt need to show too much money just enough to support yourself for the time.
While you can apply for PGWP with implied status you wont be allowed to work until you get the PGWP.
Thank you so much, I didn't know that I'll get on it ASAP

mb0602

May 19, 2020
Can I work if my study permit gets extended after I apply for my PGWP and thus I'll be on implied status for the PGWP?

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
No, you won't until your s work permit gets approved. That alone is reason to have a valid study permit as the time of PGWP Application.

mb0602

May 19, 2020
No, you won't until your s work permit gets approved. That alone is reason to have a valid study permit as the time of PGWP Application.
Is it possible to work full time under implied status of my student permit if the conditions of my study permit indicate that I can do so?

Claire_zqymi

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @mb0602,
I’m in the same situation as you. I will finish my study by August 31 2021, which is exactly the same date on which my current study permit will expire. So I won’t get enough time to apply for PGWP because I will not get the final transcript until the end of September. I’m wondering if I should apply for the study permit extension before my current study permit expires with an explanation letter saying that I need extra 3 months to apply for the PGWP.
I read the official website and I know I could apply for a visitor record. But I don’t want to switch the status because I would like to hold a study permit so that I’m able to work during that period.
Hope you could give me some advice on it! Much appreciate it!