+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit application processing on hold until Biometrics are done?

JkFreud

Jun 11, 2021
Hello experts,

I would like to find out if IRCC does any processing at all from the time the study permit application is submitted online, up until the biometrics are done. I am applying under the SDS category from India, for the fall semester. The reason I ask is there is more than a month's time for my biometric appointment - due to lack of availability of slots. The appointment is on the 10th of August.

If IRCC processes the application in the meantime and only waits on the decision until the biometrics are done, there is a chance that I would make it on time for the fall sem. If IRCC just sits on the application and does not touch it until biometrics are done, then the decision may not come in time before the start of classes on Sept 8th.

From IRCC website it appears as though they would not start the process itself. Please see this link. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1420&top=3
However, I spoke to some consultants here, and they say, IRCC would only keep the final decision pending but would do the processing meanwhile. I have to take care of many things prior to leaving, and it kind of depends on how this process unfolds.

Your insights and expert opinions are appreciated!

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Yes, they will process it but they will not release the final decision. My friend was in the same scenario in 2020 -- after VFS opened and he provided his biometrics, the PPR was sent after 5 days only.

JkFreud

Jun 11, 2021
Thanks for the reply Rafael! I hope that is what happens in practice, and the time gap gets used to review the application. However, if they strictly adhere to the rules stated on the IRCC website, then its a trouble. Hopefully, during the pandemic, they understand the situation and follow practices that save a lot of time and hassle.

Roshna2000

Aug 9, 2021
Hello JkFreud! I happened to apply for a study permit under SDS on the 18th of Nov. I got the Biometrics letter on the 20th. The earliest available slot is the 29th December and I don't know if I can make it in time for the winter intake. My classes begin on Jan 17th. May I ask how long the whole process took for you and how long after did you receive your approval?
Thank you in advance.

Stringer_Bell_786

Aug 27, 2020
Hello JkFreud! I happened to apply for a study permit under SDS on the 18th of Nov. I got the Biometrics letter on the 20th. The earliest available slot is the 29th December and I don't know if I can make it in time for the winter intake. My classes begin on Jan 17th. May I ask how long the whole process took for you and how long after did you receive your approval?
Thank you in advance.
Hey, similar timeline, applied on 17th Nov under SDS(India)

JkFreud

Jun 11, 2021
Thank you in advance.
It took about 3 weeks after submitting the biometrics for the decision. If all your paperwork is in order, you may receive the decision quickly. Goodluck!