+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Application for Minor Child (3yr old) - Separate LOE?

previnperera

Mar 25, 2024
Hi all!

I'm in the process of doing my SOP for my SOWP, and as I was typing it out, I was wondering whether my wife doing a LOE for my son's study permit explaining why she is applying for my son's study permit along with LMIA Approved Work Permit Application is the right way about it.

Wife's SOP focused on her career, my SOP is around supporting my wife. Would an LOE about not wanting our son to grow up without his parent's/wife worrying about son's well being be enough of a reason?

Could anyone shed some light on how LOEs for minor children study permits are typically done? I already have a LOA from a school.

Case details: LMIA Approved WP application (wife) + SOWP (me) + Study permit (son) [All three applications from outside of Canada]

Please do let me know if you need any other info to advice accordingly.

Thank you!

Lisan Al Gaib

Apr 10, 2024
Hi all!

I'm in the process of doing my SOP for my SOWP, and as I was typing it out, I was wondering whether my wife doing a LOE for my son's study permit explaining why she is applying for my son's study permit along with LMIA Approved Work Permit Application is the right way about it.

Wife's SOP focused on her career, my SOP is around supporting my wife. Would an LOE about not wanting our son to grow up without his parent's/wife worrying about son's well being be enough of a reason?

Could anyone shed some light on how LOEs for minor children study permits are typically done? I already have a LOA from a school.

Case details: LMIA Approved WP application (wife) + SOWP (me) + Study permit (son) [All three applications from outside of Canada]

Please do let me know if you need any other info to advice accordingly.

Thank you!
Write an LOE stating that this letter is being provided to explain the absence of a Letter of Admission (LOA) in the Application for Study Permit for my child.

In the letter, you should mention that your child will accompany you to Canada if your wife's work permit is granted and will enroll in daycare upon your arrival in whatever city you are going to. You could mention in the LOE that you don't want your son to be without his parents but I think this is already understood by the visa officer.

You should account for the eye-popping cost of daycare for a 3 year old in Canada. Accordingly, you will need to provide proof of financial means to accommodate this cost. If your son won't be attending daycare and you will be the main caretaker, you should mention that in your SOP. However, this sort of defeats the purpose of you having an SOWP, so you should consider that carefully before applying.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Audi007

previnperera

Mar 25, 2024
You have gotten an LOA for your three-year old son? Or is this for you?

If so, you will need a study permit.
Hi Lisan! Thank you for replying! Quick clarifications:

1) We have an LOA for my son.
2) My wife is applying for an LMIA Approved Work Permit, not a study permit
3) We do have Proof of Funds to manage the first few months we move to Canada.
4) All of us are applying together from outside Canada
5) I'll be applying for SOWP

Lisan Al Gaib

Apr 10, 2024
Hi Lisan! Thank you for replying! Quick clarifications:

1) We have an LOA for my son.
2) My wife is applying for an LMIA Approved Work Permit, not a study permit
3) We do have Proof of Funds to manage the first few months we move to Canada.
4) All of us are applying together from outside Canada
5) I'll be applying for SOWP
If your son has a LOA, you usually do not need to provide an LOE. LOE is used to explain the lack of an LOA.

It would not hurt your case to attach an LOE stating why you want your son to accompany you but I do not think it is necessary.

previnperera

Mar 25, 2024
If your son has a LOA, you usually do not need to provide an LOE. LOE is used to explain the lack of an LOA.

It would not hurt your case to attach an LOE stating why you want your son to accompany you but I do not think it is necessary.
Ah ok noted. Should I or my wife mention that our son will be accompanying us in either/both of our SOPs as well?