+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study in University while PR is Expired?(urgent)!

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hello,
In response to your previous questions,

1.Yes,my son has fresh passport (without any stamp on it)and he will be arriving at Ottawa by air from U.A.E..
2.He has turned 18 last month.

In regards to the mentioned situation,i just need to know that how would the border officer be acknowledged about the duration of his previous stay in Canada.(would they get the PR scanned or just rely upon the information being delivered by us at the airport )? In addition, is it necessary for him to bring along the previous expired passport ?

Please reply me soon.
Thanks in advance.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
KSA99 said:
In regards to the mentioned situation,i just need to know that how would the border officer be acknowledged about the duration of his previous stay in Canada.(would they get the PR scanned or just rely upon the information being delivered by us at the airport )? In addition, is it necessary for him to bring along the previous expired passport ?
They would naturally scan his PR card and have instant access to information about his previous entries into Canada. They will also ask him when he entered last, or how long he was away, for confirmation purposes and to ensure there are no discrepancies.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
I'm not going just on what the guidelines say, I'm also going on anecdotal evidence from this forum, as the question of entering without meeting the residency requirement is asked all the time.

It is very rare for someone entering Canada with a valid PR card to be reported for not meeting the residency requirement, no matter their situation or reasons for leaving. The officer might give a little lecture or warning but very rarely do they actually report someone.

Add the fact that this guy was removed by his parents as a minor and there is even less chance that he will be reported.

There is no reason that the OP should spend money on an immigration lawyer to know "how honest" the son should be with the border officers. He should simply answer their questions honestly. If he is reported, then the OP should contact a lawyer.
If you can provide information based on the experience of other travellers, that's terrific, as it's exactly what I said I couldn't provide.

I'm not in a position to say how a BSO will react confronted with unambiguous information that a PR never really settled in Canada, and has been away for over three years. And will his reaction be different depending on whether the person is visiting or re-establishing himself here? I can't say.

I'm also pointing out that if they challenged an adverse PR determination resulting from the interview, any misrepresentation could be a serious problem. It will also be significant if gaining the officer's sympathy is important, as you seem to acknowledge.

If it's a lost cause, on the other hand, it is possible that some people would prefer to take a chance, which is up to them.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
KSA99 said:
Hello,
In response to your previous questions,

1.Yes,my son has fresh passport (without any stamp on it)and he will be arriving at Ottawa by air from U.A.E..
2.He has turned 18 last month.

Please reply me soon.
Thanks in advance.
I think bringing the previous passport would probably be worse, depending on what stamps are in it.

Mostly, they have information in their computer about entries, but usually not exits. Except that recently they've begun receiving information about border crossings from Canada to the US.

They will have access to this information by scanning his PR card.

Some airports in Canada now have systems where PR cards are scanned automatically for all PR passengers, and a computer system (I think) makes the decision of which ones need to be screened by immigration officials. Not all airports have this. According to the following link, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver currently have the system.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/104-eng.html

It would seem logical to assume that all PR travellers at these airports have their PR cards scanned. I'm not sure whether this would make it more or less likely that your son would be questioned.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
frege said:
Mostly, they have information in their computer about entries, but usually not exits. Except that recently they've begun receiving information about border crossings from Canada to the US.
I don't think it's that recent, as I recall crossing the border 15 years ago and the Canadian border official asking me about some trips I had made to the U.S..

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
torontosm said:
I don't think it's that recent, as I recall crossing the border 15 years ago and the Canadian border official asking me about some trips I had made to the U.S..
Do you think they'd have entered anything at the time you returned to Canada?