+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study in Canada based on an award that required them to go back to home country after graduation?

alexzquan

Feb 17, 2019
Hi there,

When creating the express entry profile, I came across this question:
Did *NAME* study in Canada based on an award that required them to go back to their home country to apply their knowledge and skills?

I just graduated from a university in Canada. My study was partially supported by a scholarship that requires me to return to my country of origin for two years. Currently I plan to return my scholarship with full amount to revoke it since I already got a job offer in Canada. This is legally allowed according to the handbook of that scholarship. But still I'll have to answer 'yes' to the question.

I am just curious how this question will affect my application?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

hammad7

May 17, 2018
Hi

have you got answer to this question.

I also have the same situation. don't know if am ineligible to apply for express entry or I will just not get points for my degree completed under the scholarship.
Please let me know

Reactions: ramseriv

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi there,

When creating the express entry profile, I came across this question:
Did *NAME* study in Canada based on an award that required them to go back to their home country to apply their knowledge and skills?

I just graduated from a university in Canada. My study was partially supported by a scholarship that requires me to return to my country of origin for two years. Currently I plan to return my scholarship with full amount to revoke it since I already got a job offer in Canada. This is legally allowed according to the handbook of that scholarship. But still I'll have to answer 'yes' to the question.

I am just curious how this question will affect my application?

Thanks in advance for any answer.
You should mark it as Yes and explain everything in your LOE. As long as you are truthful, and support your claims with documentation, it will not affect your application.

hammad7

May 17, 2018
You should mark it as Yes and explain everything in your LOE. As long as you are truthful, and support your claims with documentation, it will not affect your application.
Thanks man. Did you applied before returning the money or after you started returning money and got a letter from your scholarship that you dont have to come back anymore.
How about the 30 points (study in canada) did you receive those?

I'm still in negotiation with scholarship for the installments. It will take a bit time. Should I wait till I finalize or can I apply now. What you suggest pal?

puigi

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Why is that even a question? You need to wait until you have a letter from the institution funding your studies releasing you of the obligation to go back. Legally you are beholden to go back, since your study permit was granted under the understanding that you would go home after your studies because of your ties with your funding institution.

If you submit a PR application without an official communication releasing you from the obligation to go back, you are only showing your intent to disregard your immigration status and immigration law. You will only be rejected and waste your money. Just wait until you have the letter from your funding Institution man, will save you time, trouble and money.

Reactions: canuck78

ramseriv

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
something similar is happening to me, I received an scholarship, but I'm seriously considering not to mention it in the application of my study permit, do you think they will notice it, even if I don't mention it (I have sufficient personal funds to based my first year of studies without the amount obtained in the scholarship). What's your advice? I don't want troubles after finishing my studies and the host funding institution do not negotiate the fact of releasing me with the obligation to go back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
something similar is happening to me, I received an scholarship, but I'm seriously considering not to mention it in the application of my study permit, do you think they will notice it, even if I don't mention it (I have sufficient personal funds to based my first year of studies without the amount obtained in the scholarship). What's your advice? I don't want troubles after finishing my studies and the host funding institution do not negotiate the fact of releasing me with the obligation to go back.
If you don't want problems later than return the scholarship and don't use it. That's the best path.

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
It’s interesting question. For scholarship one already loses 30 points for Canadian education. I haven’t seen a reference where one’s pr application is determined based on the scholarship award.

ramseriv

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
That's a huge disappointment, because we have to choose between rejecting the finance scholarship Vs forgetting about the education points in EE applications