+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDY GAP!!!

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Hi,i'd like to know if the fact that i completed high school back in 2004, then attended uni a couple of years but did not graduate and then started working will be an issue for study permit... Don't know if it matters, but i'm from Greece, so Visa Office in Rome is responsible

PKMCL

Star Member
Apr 30, 2011
The most common answer I have heard is that a gap of over 5 years is not being encouraged lately. I also have a gap of over 5 years, however I am planning to apply and in case my visa is rejected I will request for a full refund of my fees.

From the way I see, a gap in education is not the sole factor they consider...a reputed college, genuine intention to study, funds avaliable at your disposal, sound proof of returning to home country all might be very relevant..

All the best..Seniors please advise

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
It makes sense what you say, i agree but i've read here many other cases, so i am anxious about this matter... Best of luck to you too, we want an opinion from anyone who is experienced on this please!!!

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The application form as a section in which you have to mention your educational and other activities for the past years. That too includes you status at that time (Student, Working etc ....), the Institution you were working for or studying at.. the duration ..etc etc ... If you have a gap, then you can mention that you were working at that time.. It makes sense and hopefully it wont be a problem then.

However, you might have to attach supporting documents (Employment Letter) etc for that duration and it will all be good.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Considering you have a quite big study gap but you can justify it through the application form,is it mandatory to write a SOP or just advisable? because i've read that sometimes it can backfire when you submit more staff than they require

PKMCL

Star Member
Apr 30, 2011
I think SOP + all relevant and suppoting documents will add to your application (application shoulhd be organised including a table of contents of the documents)

Few options I think have better probability of being aproved with a gap are

- phd. programs, researches of which requires you to stay in Canada; drawback - searching for a tutor / guide to support you for the area of interest. (if it is to do with Science subjects / social work, it should not be a big hassle)
- Check with Canadian education consultants, they definitely would know better. howver you will end up paying a lot of money to them

Best is to try, rather than keep devising plans to work it out. Bottom line is your application should be genuine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
PKMCL

Dec 7, 2012
its not a gap if you are working and you have all pay slips,,, i applied after 4 years and even after MBA...

make a good sop.

regards

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Appreciate your answers... would like to clarify about my case that as i am a high school graduate,and want to apply for a 2 year diploma, i assume that i won't have issues regarding study mismatch (work on computer-customer service,call center agent and the program hopefully will be "computer network & technical support)... Also,most of the cases i've read here and got refused are from visa offices in Asia-India, do we know anything about Rome? Are they stricter from cases coming from India,Pakistan,Bangladesh etc?