+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student's Spouse Open Work Permit

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am new here so please bear with me. I really need your help as me, my wife and my daughter would want to be reunited together.

Here's a brief summary of my situation. I have arrived here this April 2018 and started my studies in George Brown College last May. I took a 1 year program for culinary and my school will end on December 14, 2018, and my Study permit expires on March 2019. I also have a part-time job here as a Line Cook (NOC B) and i have a regular 20-hour-per-week schedule. My wife and 2.5 year-old-daughter is still in the Philippines and we plan on applying for a Student's spouse open work permit for my wife and a temporary resident permit for our daughter.

I have several questions to ask to ensure that our application gets approved this time:
  • My wife should be the principal applicant this time right? Or should I use my CIC account and apply for them as dependent? Should I provide the UCI number in my study permit and write it down in her application forms, or just leave it blank? She has not submitted any applications yet so there is no available UCI number for her and my daughter.
  • I will convert from the 1-year culinary program, to the 2-year culinary program since we were able to save enough for tuition for another 2 terms. Unfortunately, the college needs for us to finish the first term and get our final grades first before I could request to have my program changed. Having said this, the expiration date of my study permit will still be on March 2019 when my wife and daughter applies. Assuming that the application takes 2-3 months, and my study permit ends on March 2019; Will this be a factor for a refusal since there is only a few months left before my study permit expires? Will they consider the fact that after my program I will have the 'post-graduate work permit', whether or not I extend my studies?
  • Is 'proof of funds' necessary as supporting documents for their application? If yes, are 'bank certificates' from her Philippine account and 'certificate of balance' from my Canadian account enough? Also, is there a baseline or specific amount needed for my wife's open work permit and my daughter's TRV (or do you call it dependent visa?)
  • Is it necessary for me to provide an affidavit of support and accommodation to further justify that my savings here is in addition to her funds back in the Philippines? And to guarantee that they already have a place to stay in once they arrive here?
Thank you in advance for those who will be responding. It will be greatly appreciated if you give me proper guidance to ensure that our attempt of applying this time will get approved.

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
In addition to the items I mentioned previously, I have also been seeing posts that pictures of us together and my child, conversations, marriage pictures, etc., should also be included in supporting documents to further validate that we are together? Is there any truth to this?