+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa - Work permit

stfaen

Feb 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Vancouver as an international student for a 40 weeks certificate (it's an internship) in September and would like to know if i get to work 20hrs a week straight away or I definitely need to wait 6 months before getting the off-campus working visa?

Also, can anyone tel me how the on-campus visa work? i.e how many hours can i work a week, what kind of jobs and does the college you are enrolled with employ you?

Thanks in advance,
stfaen

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
You need to read "Studying in Canada: Work permits for students" on the CIC web site.

If you cannot be bothered to read it than pose the question as follows in your posting:

"I cannot be bothered to make the time and effort to find out myself first hand so can someone tell me I'm coming to Vancouver as an international student for a 40 weeks certificate (it's an internship) in September and would like to know if i get to work 20hrs a week straight away or I definitely need to wait 6 months before getting the off-campus working visa?

Also, can anyone tel me how the on-campus visa work? i.e how many hours can i work a week, what kind of jobs and does the college you are enrolled with employ you?

I shoot from the hip and take no prisoners!!

stfaen

Feb 20, 2011
Now, before posting here, i read everything there is to read on the CIC website (English and French) and other website and postings on this forum about international students and working permits for students. I post here only to get answers which are lacking in these websites, if you got nothing for me or in the same narrow minded way of thinking of super-smart Macthepak, please don't bother answering.

Well let's get started.

Macthepak since you were smart enough read through CIC as well, you surely noticed that the link on the on-campus working visa only you a list of who can apply to it but not what you are entitled to work and who can employ you. That is basically why I asked the question about the on-campus visa. Mac, you might as well go read it just for your general knowledge and also to be able to grasp what I am saying. Try both english and french version.

And secondly, the off-campus visa on the cic website only tells you what you can do AFTER studying at least 6 months out of the last 12 months. Again Macthepak, go on the CIC, look for the off-campus visa page and read it ... slowly this time, not all in one go, there is a lot to read on this page, you might get yourself a headache with so much information flowing in that small nutshell of yours.

It still does tells you what you can do in terms of work within the first six months you are in Canada.

With that said, I'm going for Macthepak's idea of re-posting my question:

Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to work when you arrive in Canada as an international student? Keeping in mind that one can only apply to off-campus after six months of studying. And how long can you work with the on-campus working visa since my college can get me one?

I rather shoot at the head, I leave no survivors!!

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

If you are a full time student you do not need a work permit to work on campus and you can work on campus as soon as you arrive for as long as you visa is valid. Please refer to imm 5580e page 7.

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

For further clarification you may want to refer to OP12 section 5.20 & 5.21 if you would like any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

stfaen

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks a lot for the replies Mac, the info you gave me were most useful and exactly what I needed.

Thanks again.
stfaen