+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa help

ribcanada

Aug 18, 2011
I am a Bangladeshi resident residing in Dubai. I finished my schooling here and thereafter decided to continue further studies in Canada. I received a full tuition scholarship from Trent University, Ontario. I applied for a study permit to the Canadian visa office in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Since my fathers financial position was not solvent, I secured sponsorship from my first cousin who is a canadian citizen. Her tax assessment showed her income to be 30,000 dollars. She further showed 14,000 dollars for my living expenses for the first year.
My visa application was refused and the reason mentioned is that I do not have enough financial resources.

I plan to apply again with the right requirements. I have the following questions:

1) My scholarship covers my entire course tuition fees. Do I still need to show funds for tuition expenses?
2) Can some one sponsor me from Bangadesh. Do they have to be my relatives. Can friends sponsor? If so, then how do I show any relation with the sponsor?

I would be highly obliged if you could solve the above issues.

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
ribcanada said:
I am a Bangladeshi resident residing in Dubai. I finished my schooling here and thereafter decided to continue further studies in Canada. I received a full tuition scholarship from Trent University, Ontario. I applied for a study permit to the Canadian visa office in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Since my fathers financial position was not solvent, I secured sponsorship from my first cousin who is a canadian citizen. Her tax assessment showed her income to be 30,000 dollars. She further showed 14,000 dollars for my living expenses for the first year.
My visa application was refused and the reason mentioned is that I do not have enough financial resources.

I plan to apply again with the right requirements. I have the following questions:

1) My scholarship covers my entire course tuition fees. Do I still need to show funds for tuition expenses?
2) Can some one sponsor me from Bangadesh. Do they have to be my relatives. Can friends sponsor? If so, then how do I show any relation with the sponsor?

Hey rib,

So sorry to hear about your refusal. The funds shouldn't have been an issue as you'll be studying under scholarship. You showed your sponsor's funds regardless, which should have been more than enough for your living expenses. It was just poor luck as far as I can conclude.

For your info, Visa Officers don't like applicants having relatives in Canada. I have no idea why but I have seen very few people making it to Canada on a Canadian sponsor's support. Relatives or friends CAN sponsor you but I wouldn't recommend that. You'll have to submit another pile of documents explaining and proving your relationship with your sponsor, reason behind a 3rd party sponsorship, why your parents aren't sponsoring you instead, etc etc. And VOs don't like 3rd party sponsors either. There are abstract reasons that count as factors when handling an application where the applicant is being sponsored by a 3rd party.

There are 3 major points that the VO initially clarifies:

1. That you are a genuine student who wants to improve your academic standing and theoretical & practical knowledge.

2. That your sponsor is financially stable.

3. That you will leave Canada at the end of your study period. (Most students fail to prove this point)

Point 1 definitely seems ok. Your university wouldn't have given you a full bright scholarship otherwise.
Point 2 and 3 need to be proven in order for your application to be approved.

What I can suggest is for you to get a sponsor in Bangladesh who is an immediate family member (for eg: your parents or siblings). You need to get a notarized declaration of sponsorship which is done on stamp papers worth 150 BDT (also known as AFFIDAVIT). In addition you'll need your sponsor's bank statements, employment certificate, income statements, tax certificates and property evaluation. Point 2: cleared.

Properties act as a country tie. If your dad has properties or fixed assets in Bangladesh, you (as his child) will very likely take after him. And no one would be foolish enough to just throw away their properties and leave them be :p. Therefore, you'll be forced to LEAVE CANADA and come back to your own country to claim and/or look after them (thus, clearing point 3).

Furthermore, you'll need a study plan explaining your intent to study in Canada and leave Canada at the end of your study period, while also explaining why and how you plan to do it. Study Plans are not mentioned on the checklist and therefore, students don't tend to attach one with their application. But it plays a very important role in visa issuance. Interviews are hardly conducted at CHC, so your study plan contains a set of "pre-answers" to questions that MAY arise in the VO's head.

If you need samples of Study plans and affidavit, then post your email address here and I'll mail them to you.

This may sound all lengthy and complicated but trust me once you get started, it's going to be a lot more easier than you could imagine.
I was also refused a visa last year but Alhamdulillah I made it through this year :).

I apologize for not having illustrated my points clearly so please don't hesitate to post your doubts and confusions.

The seniors could help you out further, especially the UAE applicants :)

ribcanada

Aug 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for all the info. could you just let me know of an approximate amount i need to show? keeping in mind tat my tuition expenses are covered.

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
ribcanada said:
Thanks a lot for all the info. could you just let me know of an approximate amount i need to show? keeping in mind tat my tuition expenses are covered.
Well generally for tuition fees that NEED to be paid (unlike yours), tuition expenses of one year must be shown with an additional CAD 10,000 for living
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp (Go to "3. Proof of financial support)

But in your case, your scholarship has got the job done for you so you'll only be needing the additional CAD 10,000. Your sponsor in Canada had shown enough but I still don't understand why you were refused. Maybe it's the nag they have against Canadian sponsors, I can't be certain. But yes, don't leave out any of your sponsor's financial documents (even if it's more than required). And make sure your sponsor's annual income exceeds your, and his dependents', expenses.

ribcanada

Aug 18, 2011
Ridz, I think my sponsors 30,000 income was not considered sufficient for me and his dependents... plus the only 14,000 in the bank account must m have made them realize that after my my allocation, nothing would be left for the sponsor. what do you think?

As far as ties with the country is considered, In UAE they usually don't consider this as a reason for refusal. beacuse they consider the number of years you have been living in the UAE.

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
ribcanada said:
Ridz, I think my sponsors 30,000 income was not considered sufficient for me and his dependents... plus the only 14,000 in the bank account must m have made them realize that after my my allocation, nothing would be left for the sponsor. what do you think?

As far as ties with the country is considered, In UAE they usually don't consider this as a reason for refusal. beacuse they consider the number of years you have been living in the UAE.
What about your sponsor's income? Is it sufficient to cover her family's annual expenses along with yours?
Income is generally given more importance than assets.

As for properties, you would have needed that IF your parents or relatives in Bangladesh would have sponsored you. But I assume you'll stick to your Canadian cousin for this ::)

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
ribcanada said:
Ridz, Tell me about yours?
how much did you show?
Why were you refused last year?
I showed liquid money of CAD 78,000, income over 100 grands and properties worth millions.

My visa was refused last year because I couldn't satisfy the VO that I had sufficient funds to pay for my studies and that I wouldn't leave Canada at the end of the study period. I did have enough funds but the problem was that my dad's bank account was opened 5 months prior to my application. The checklist required a one year statement. Moreover, my dad's initial deposit was HUGE so the VO suspected that it was borrowed money from relatives which would probably have been returned after the issuance of visa.

bedazzled2221

Aug 15, 2011
Hi Ridz,

I am impressed by your confidence and knowledge and want to request you the samples of study plan if possible.

I will appreciate your response. My email. aszk@hotmail.co.uk

Regards,

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
bedazzled2221 said:
Hi Ridz,

I am impressed by your confidence and knowledge and want to request you the samples of study plan if possible.

I will appreciate your response. My email. aszk @ hotmail.co.uk

Regards,
Thank you bedazzled for your appreciation but my knowledge is still raw and I lack experience when compared to the seniors on this forum. But I'll always provide suggestions on topics that I'm aware of :)

Please check your email; I have already sent the samples.

Regards,

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
ribcanada said:

Give details of your scholarship (CAD____/year and the catches) and the tuition (CAD_____/year). Then maybe I can see where you went wrong.

BTW Ridz you are doing a good job. Be ready to make some enemies :p

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
rhasan said:
Give details of your scholarship (CAD____/year and the catches) and the tuition (CAD_____/year). Then maybe I can see where you went wrong.

BTW Ridz you are doing a good job. Be ready to make some enemies :p
Thanks a lot bro :D. It's Allah's blessings and your guidance that brought me this far! :)

kokice

Dec 15, 2011
ribcanada said:

hello ribcanada

Would you be so kind to share your profile? Which program did you apply, what is your GPA and things like that...
Thank you in advance

Bravewolf

Feb 20, 2012
@ RIDZ

Hi, I am really pleased to see a supporting person like you on this forum. May Allah bless you for this deed of yours, I need a help as well. Can you please email me your SOP. My email id is Bravewolf_1@hotmail.com