+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit Approved - Sharing Time Line (El Salvador)

CarlosRdrz

Oct 1, 2018
Hello,

I wanted to share my timeline as a reference for other people.

I applied for an SP, my wife for an OWP and we applied together with our 2yo son.

I am going to Fanshawe College in London Ontario on the Jan 2019 Intake for the International Business Management Post Graduate Program.

My timeline goes as follows:

1. I submitted my application on September 09, 2018 early in the morning. (Sunday)

2. I received the message that my submission was confirmed on September 09, 2018 (Sunday)

3. I received a request for Medical Examination on September 13, 2018 (Thursday)

4. We did the medical examination on September 18, 2018 (Tuesday)

5. We received the notification that the medical exams were received on September 21, 2018 (Friday)

6. We got the notification that the application was approved and they requested our passports on September 25, 2018 (Tuesday)

7. I sent the passports to the Visa Office in Mexico on September 26, 2018 (Wednesday)

8. We got the notification that the application process was approved completely and the visas were stamped in our passports with the expiration dates Today October 01, 2018. (Monday)

Now I have a couple of questions to those that have gone through the same process and to those who are already in Canada.

1. Our visas/permits expire on Nov 26, 2019, and the Post Graduate ends in August 2019, Do you think that is enough time to Apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit? Because we do not want to go back to our country because we are also in the EE Pool and with those points, we go above the average.

2. Do you think it is best that after I finish my program we should all apply for an extension/change of our visas/permits?

3. When you go through customs at the airport, what type of documents they need to see? I want to know to be prepared.

4. How much time before the program starts you think it is the best to arrive in Canada?

5. After going through customs, are there any more steps that you need to do before feeling that you have "Arrived in Canada" and take a breather?

Thank you for your time to read this and if there is anyone that can help me with my questions I will appreciate it very much.

Reactions: rabanos

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Hi,

Congratulations! I hope you have a pleasant experience studying. As I am a fellow applicant, I am here to share with you the information I have learned and is only based on the hundreds of threads I have read here on the forum.

1. Our visas/permits expire on Nov 26, 2019, and the Post Graduate ends in August 2019, Do you think that is enough time to Apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit? Because we do not want to go back to our country because we are also in the EE Pool and with those points, we go above the average.
Your visa duration is valid for 3 months only after graduation. This is the case for everyone. After graduating, you are given 90 days (3 months) to apply for a PGWP if you are undertaking studies in a PWGP-qualified DLI. A simple search for qualifying DLI will pull up official lists from CIC.

2. Do you think it is best that after I finish my program we should all apply for an extension/change of our visas/permits?
Apply for a PGWP. No extensions are given if you have finished your program.

3. When you go through customs at the airport, what type of documents they need to see? I want to know to be prepared.
The documents you have used to apply are all required at the point of entry. Make sure to have new bank statements.

4. How much time before the program starts you think it is the best to arrive in Canada?
There is no direct answer to this question as this is 100% dependent on the visa officer at the point of entry to grant you admission to Canada or not. It has been reported in this forum that they have arrived 3 months before and were admitted, whereas some have been rejected, and on the other hand, people have had their study permit status revoked for suspicion of not being a bonafide student. A month before your program starts is the ideal time, make sure you have your travel insurance for all family members as your university/college insurance is NOT covered before the beginning of your studies.

5. After going through customs, are there any more steps that you need to do before feeling that you have "Arrived in Canada" and take a breather?
Good question. I don't have the answer for this as I am only reading and sharing an opinionated answer.

Have a safe journey! :)

Reactions: CarlosRdrz