+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student from Europe, work permit based on which conditions?

Marake230879

Sep 28, 2018
Hey everyone.

I just got my study permit.

I also want to work parttime while studying:

I know the general conditions:
  • you have started studying
  • you have a study permit with a condition printed on it that allows you to work on or off campus ( this is the one I wonder about, is this standard?)
  • you are in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and that is at least 6 months long
  • you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
The condition printed on it, is that standard when you fall into all the above mentioned categories?

Thanks for the answer

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
Your study permit should mention something like this "may accept employment on or off campus if meeting the eligibility criteria as per R186(F)...."
Then you are good to go, get SIN and you can work 20 hrs/week as long as you are enrolled in DLI and full time in schedule breaks (like summer holidays).

Marake230879

Sep 28, 2018
Your study permit should mention something like this "may accept employment on or off campus if meeting the eligibility criteria as per R186(F)...."
Then you are good to go, get SIN and you can work 20 hrs/week as long as you are enrolled in DLI and full time in schedule breaks (like summer holidays).
That's exactly what I want to know. Will my study permit have that mention and what is it dependent of?

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
That's exactly what I want to know. Will my study permit have that mention and what is it dependent of?
If you are a full time post secondary student in a DLI for program longer than 6-7 months, then it'll be mentioned on your study permit.