+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student applying for TRV from within Canada...HELP

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
hey so I'm an int'l student studying and living in Canada. this christmas I want to visit my family so i need to get a TRV so that i can re-enter the country.

i've filled out the TRV form to apply online but there is no option for the TRV application in my profile. i complete the questionnaire and the only option it gives me is to "extend my status" which is a completely different form and application. the thing is, i applied for this other form by accident a few months ago and kept waiting for my TRV. however when i called the helpline (i use the term generously), they told me that the application i filled out has nothing to do with TRV. so i don't want to make the same mistake again but the online questionnaire is simply not giving me the TRV application (i had to download the form separately and fill it out)...what should i do? i want to apply ASAP so i can get my passport back and travel. please help!!!

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
babylizard said:
hey so I'm an int'l student studying and living in Canada. this christmas I want to visit my family so i need to get a TRV so that i can re-enter the country.

i've filled out the TRV form to apply online but there is no option for the TRV application in my profile. i complete the questionnaire and the only option it gives me is to "extend my status" which is a completely different form and application. the thing is, i applied for this other form by accident a few months ago and kept waiting for my TRV. however when i called the helpline (i use the term generously), they told me that the application i filled out has nothing to do with TRV. so i don't want to make the same mistake again but the online questionnaire is simply not giving me the TRV application (i had to download the form separately and fill it out)...what should i do? i want to apply ASAP so i can get my passport back and travel. please help!!!
Here are my application details (personal details removed):
What would you like to do in Canada? Visit
How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily - more than 6 months
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada. Canada
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older? No
Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant? No
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)? No
What is your current immigration status in Canada? Student
What is your marital status? Never Married/Single
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time. Ontario
Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada? No
When does your status in Canada expire? July 31, 2017 [note: this is my study permit]
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months? No
Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year? No
Do you want to submit an application for a family member? No
Are you giving someone access to your application? No
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt? Yes, I will be paying my application fees.
Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera? Yes
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you need a Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Yes

after clicking continue a bunch of times, i'm taken to the application page where the only application form i'm given is Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM5708) (required). i scroll down and under optional documents i see: Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257). i am sure the latter is the form i need because that is what my friend has also told me. what am i doing wrong?

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
ok so i finally got through to an agent and she told me that for TRV you must fill out a paper application (not sure why), so that's what i am going to do. however, there was no barcode generated for my application. if i am to understand correctly, i need a barcode page to put on top of my application before i mail it in.