+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student and Refugee

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Hi all, I just receive my refugee status and previously had Study Permit on my old passport valid until 2018. I need to earn more with a full-time job since study permit limit my working hours to maximum 20 hours per week.

My question is:

1. If I apply for working permit (since PR will be issued 1-2 years after) will it cancelled my study permit?
2. My study period still ongoing and will be finished on 2018, can I still continue my study regarding my refugee status?
3. I also have one year co-op next year, in which I believe it is included in my previous study permit, will it be cancelled too if I apply for working permit?

Thanks in advance! ;)

refugeeseeker

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
As soon as u r approved as refugee claimant, you other status in Canada gets invalid.
You are not suppose to study nor work (only can work, after you apply for your work permit and it gets approved).
But studying is impossible.
Good luck with your case!

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
Studying is not impossible at all. He can apply for a study oermit as a refugee but he needs to meet all the requirements in order to be approved. Also it will cost just like an international student.
You also can apply for a work permit (no fees required to apply as a refugee claimant). It will take 2 months to process.
But i think since your study permit is still valid, you can keep studying without a problem.

Ps. Please dont give false information if you are not sure about the process.

CSED

Sep 19, 2016
Taxed said:
Studying is not impossible at all. He can apply for a study oermit as a refugee but he needs to meet all the requirements in order to be approved. Also it will cost just like an international student.
You also can apply for a work permit (no fees required to apply as a refugee claimant). It will take 2 months to process.
But i think since your study permit is still valid, you can keep studying without a problem.

Hi dear,
I thought that the convention refugee will be treated as a PR/citizen when it comes to studying fees as he is in the process of PR are you sure about this point?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
CSED said:
Hi dear,
I thought that the convention refugee will be treated as a PR/citizen when it comes to studying fees as he is in the process of PR are you sure about this point?
I was referring to the refugee claimant(not approved yet) in this point.

CSED

Sep 19, 2016
Taxed said:
I was referring to the refugee claimant(not approved yet) in this point.
So as the asylum claimant approved he/she treated as a PR/citizen when it comes to studying cost? right?

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CSED said:
So as the asylum claimant approved he/she treated as a PR/citizen when it comes to studying cost? right?
Usually yes. But not everywhere. Depends on college/university.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
CSED said:
You will have to pay regular fees until you land as a permanent residence.
Being approved as a refugee doesnt mean you became a pr until you go through the process. In some cases a pr might be refused but rarely.

Let me ask you this, were you able to change yuor SIN with your approved refugee claiment document?

CSED

Sep 19, 2016
Taxed said:
You will have to pay regular fees until you land as a permanent residence.
Being approved as a refugee doesnt mean you became a pr until you go through the process. In some cases a pr might be refused but rarely.

Let me ask you this, were you able to change yuor SIN with your approved refugee claiment document?
Dear i've not applied yet so have no idea, thank you for your feedbacks

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
refugeeseeker said:
As soon as u r approved as refugee claimant, you other status in Canada gets invalid.
You are not suppose to study nor work (only can work, after you apply for your work permit and it gets approved).
But studying is impossible.
Good luck with your case!
This is a very false information.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Taxed said:

Hi,

Thanks for the correct information :)
So to clarify, I can continue my study (as a refugee but hasn't applied for PR yet) if I apply for a working permit?

Also to answer your question about the SIN, I haven't asked this yet as I really would like to change my 9 SIN number to a 7. But if I'm not mistaken, only Permanent Residence are able to get a 7 SIN number.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
betteka said:
Hi,

Thanks for the correct information :)
So to clarify, I can continue my study (as a refugee but hasn't applied for PR yet) if I apply for a working permit?

Also to answer your question about the SIN, I haven't asked this yet as I really would like to change my 9 SIN number to a 7. But if I'm not mistaken, only Permanent Residence are able to get a 7 SIN number.
The SIN question was to another person, but anyway you cannot change it until you receive your pr.
As for the work permit, you can apply anytime free of charge, it's an open work permit so you can work anywhere without hours limit.

You can study if you can afford the fees even if you dont have a work permit, you just need yuor study permit which i understand you already have.

Abdul Birdy

Sep 25, 2016
betteka said:
Hi all, I just receive my refugee status and previously had Study Permit on my old passport valid until 2018. I need to earn more with a full-time job since study permit limit my working hours to maximum 20 hours per week.

My question is:

1. If I apply for working permit (since PR will be issued 1-2 years after) will it cancelled my study permit?
2. My study period still ongoing and will be finished on 2018, can I still continue my study regarding my refugee status?
3. I also have one year co-op next year, in which I believe it is included in my previous study permit, will it be cancelled too if I apply for working permit?

Thanks in advance! ;)
I don't know why they aren't giving you good and useful information,
There's new system, called New Ontario student grant,

Which makes your studying 100% free, supported by Ontario Gov,
Why I'm saying this is 100%?

Because as i see, u aren't be able to pay expensive costs without working
So i see there's no family of yours with this moment,

And also you became protected person,
Since it's approved,

You are granted to apply for this aid by Ontario gov

Who is eligible:
- Canadian Citizen.
- Permanent resident.
- Protected person

If you r living outside Ontario, maybe you Google program like this supported by ur current state
Or you gotta move to Ontario,

Can u tell me what nationality you r
And how you traveled there?

Which I'm thinking to get Visitor visa and apply for protection for refugees then apply for this :)

refugeeseeker

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
betteka said:
This is a very false information.
No its not. At your refugee claimant documents it clear mention you are not allowed to do so. Be4 member give you the claiment documents, you sign a form where it states all previous status is revoked. Reason, incase if your claimant is rejected you are suppose to leave the country as per deportation order.
PS (it apply if you are refugee claimant! But noy for approved refugee protected person after their hearing)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Abdul Birdy said:
I don't know why they aren't giving you good and useful information,
There's new system, called New Ontario student grant,

Which makes your studying 100% free, supported by Ontario Gov,
It's not 100% free. You don't understand how the program is structured.

70% or more of this is a loan which has to be repaid once you finish school.

So not free.