+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay employed without valid work visa?

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
hello, my situation right now is, that my partner and I lost our status because his boss forgot to send out the application for a new LMO.
so right now we are of course not allowed to work. my employer is now asking me for proof, that it is legal to keep me as an employee on leave on absence, until
this problem is resolved and we get our work visa back. does anybody know a website or something where its written down that it is legal to keep me? please help!! I need to know soon or I will lose my job...

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Has your boss now filed a new LMO application??....and have you sent off a new work visa application??....if you sent the application off before your initial work visa ended then you are on Implied Status and able to work until your LMO is approved or not.

If, how ever, you did not send off a work visa and your work visa has ended you are now in Canada with no status...and need to send a restoration application before 90 days is up from the work visa end. There is no legal requirement for your boss to keep your job open, neither do they have to give you leave of absence unless they want you to come back to work for them.

Are you sure your company wants you to work there????....from my experience only...my company has and did everything possible including spending 1000's of dollars advertising my position to prove no Canadian was able to do my job, to make sure that the correct paperwork was sent off and everything was in place for me to continue to work for them.