+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union

alicexyz

Mar 9, 2014
Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I were asked to submit a statutory declaration of common-law union for our application. We live in Japan and our proof documents are all in Japanese. We know we need to get a notary to sign it for us. But do we also need to submit translated copies of our proof documents along with the declaration? Or can we just submit the signed form?

We have already sent some translated proof documents with our application but we were asked to submit this form also.

Thank you!

sanda

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-May-2013
AOR Received.
09-May-2013
LANDED..........
15-March-2014
alicexyz said:
Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I were asked to submit a statutory declaration of common-law union for our application. We live in Japan and our proof documents are all in Japanese. We know we need to get a notary to sign it for us. But do we also need to submit translated copies of our proof documents along with the declaration? Or can we just submit the signed form?

We have already sent some translated proof documents with our application but we were asked to submit this form also.

Thank you!
Hi,

I used the format of statutory declaration of common-law union in CIC website. You can fill it out and take to notarize with both presents of you and your partner.
Canadian embassy seems offer the service but you might be better to make sure by the phone:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/japan-japon/consular_services_consulaires/notarial-notariat.aspx?lang=eng

You should submit additional proof documents only if you were asked. You need to get certified translation for official document such as government related document or rental agreement etc. I believe it would be safe to use a translator certified in Canada. Here is the BC certified Japanese to English translators:
http://www.stibc.org/page/certified%20member%20directory.aspx

Good luck!

alicexyz

Mar 9, 2014
Thank you so much! We've contacted a honorary consul and we will get the declaration signed on Thursday! I checked the website and it seems like we don't have to send in the documents we used to prove our common-law relationship to the consul. So we won't bother to get anything translated and just save our money for our eventual move!

sanda said:
Hi,

I used the format of statutory declaration of common-law union in CIC website. You can fill it out and take to notarize with both presents of you and your partner.
Canadian embassy seems offer the service but you might be better to make sure by the phone:

You should submit additional proof documents only if you were asked. You need to get certified translation for official document such as government related document or rental agreement etc. I believe it would be safe to use a translator certified in Canada. Here is the BC certified Japanese to English translators:

Good luck!