Waived
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2016
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
albertaforeign0910 said:
I have the same situation here im giving birth on october 2015 and somebody told me that they were changes on citizenship law regarding tfw parents that their child will be born stateless... is there really new law about this?
I dont know about the new law but I guess the child can always have right to citizenship of parent's country. At Least in case of countries where they follow jus sanguinis.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
albertaforeign0910 said:
I have the same situation here im giving birth on october 2015 and somebody told me that they were changes on citizenship law regarding tfw parents that their child will be born stateless... is there really new law about this?
Anyone who says this has no idea what they are talking about. Ignore them.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My child was born while both me and my spouse were on a work permit (TFW) and is a canadian citizen.

If the child is issued a canadian birth certificate, just take that and apply for a passport and i would suggest at this stage stop worrying.

cecapplied

arianne092114 said:
we are just confused beacause one of our friends gave birth last March 4..
and she asked the Social Worker if her baby is a Canadian Citizen, and they said
if the Parents are TFW the status of the baby is not Canadian Citizen.

eduvit

Jan 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a rumor about this issue from last year.

http://www.cicnews.com/2014/08/government-canada-citizenship-birth-provision-083672.html

I think there are some changes but I have not seen any offical news on that in details. Waiting for someone share their information.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eduvit said:

http://www.cicnews.com/2014/08/government-canada-citizenship-birth-provision-083672.html

I think there are some changes but I have not seen any offical news on that in details. Waiting for someone share their information.
Nothing has changed regarding the right of a child born in Canada to be a Canadian citizen.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
eduvit said:

There are no changes to those born in Canada getting citizenship. To address the birth tourism issue, that would require another bill to change the citizenship law to address this issue. The latest citizenship law change does nothing to address birth tourism.

eduvit

Jan 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@screech339 and alphazip: Thank you for your confirmation. That help to clear my doubt.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
cecapplied said:
My child was born while both me and my spouse were on a work permit (TFW) and is a canadian citizen.

If the child is issued a canadian birth certificate, just take that and apply for a passport and i would suggest at this stage stop worrying.

cecapplied
Don't children born to diplomatic staff also get a canadian birth certificate? I believe any child born in any country gets a birth certificate from the birth country. Now, my question is, since canadian birth certificates don't say anything about legal status of parents and citizenship status of the newborn, how does the system know the child is not born from diplomatic staff? How come the system asks for a mere canadian birth certificate to issue a canadian passport?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
labeamer said:
Don't children born to diplomatic staff also get a canadian birth certificate? I believe any child born in any country gets a birth certificate from the birth country. Now, my question is, since canadian birth certificates don't say anything about legal status of parents and citizenship status of the newborn, how does the system know the child is not born from diplomatic staff? How come the system asks for a mere canadian birth certificate to issue a canadian passport?
Yes, they get a Canadian birth certificate. However: http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=ae35ede6-01d0-4098-97a3-769da92c5bb2&sponsor=.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, they get a Canadian birth certificate. However: http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=ae35ede6-01d0-4098-97a3-769da92c5bb2&sponsor=.
yea i read the article. It rather confirms my suspicion that a birth certificate issued in canada doesn't say anything about the legal status of parents in canada and citizenship of the newborn. They ask for a mute dummy canadian birth certificate to issue a canadian passport to non-citizens and they keep saying the passport was issued in error. Who knows, there are still many non-citizens out there issued a canadian passport by mistake....

I say, it's long overdue and fix the birth certificate. My foreign birth certificate states my citizenship and that of my parents.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
albertaforeign0910 said:
No. There is a new law about how long you must live in Canada in order to apply but it doesn't change anything about birthright citizenship. Babies born in Canada still have the right to citizenship unless their parents are diplomats or stationed in Canada by the UN or foreign military as well as neither of their parents is a PR or citizen.

It is however true that since the 2009 law, Canadians who were born outside Canada and gained citizenship based on their parent(s) being Canadian can no longer pass citizenship to their babies who are born outside Canada. Thus it has happened that babies have been born stateless because one parent was such a Canadian, the baby could not get the citizenship of the other parent either for some reason nor of the country they were born in.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

albertaforeign0910 said:
1. No, there are no changes for children born in Canada at the present time.

WiseGuy711

May 30, 2015
albertaforeign0910 said:
False.

(add the usual stuff before) .cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/