+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting the process and need help.

Oct 20, 2011
So my family and I are going to start the process of applying for PR to Canada and I am just looking for input on our situation. My husband has gotten 2 DUIs here in the US the last one was in 2008. He is on probation until 2013 but we can apply for early termination any time now. I have talked to one lawyer who told me that the DUIs would not be an issue if I am the primary applicant and my husband is the secondary. We also have two children that we would be applying with us. We are hoping to try to apply without a lawyer due to cost.
Has anyone been in this situation? Would you recommend a lawyer to assist us since the history of the DUIs may be an issue? I do not have arranged employment but am sure that I would be able to get this.
Would my husband need to stay here in the US and I go to Canada first or would they process our applications together?
If I have a job offer, do we all go together while the application is being processed?
Do I start the application and then find a job offer? If the job wants me to start right away do I go first on a work visa?
Will my husband be able to have a work visa if I am sponsoring him with our family application?

I am totally lost and don't want to spend money in applications and documents that we don't need. Any help would be great.

Thank you so much!
Celeste

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PulgasToCanada said:
So my family and I are going to start the process of applying for PR to Canada and I am just looking for input on our situation. My husband has gotten 2 DUIs here in the US the last one was in 2008. He is on probation until 2013 but we can apply for early termination any time now. I have talked to one lawyer who told me that the DUIs would not be an issue if I am the primary applicant and my husband is the secondary. We also have two children that we would be applying with us. We are hoping to try to apply without a lawyer due to cost.
Has anyone been in this situation? Would you recommend a lawyer to assist us since the history of the DUIs may be an issue? I do not have arranged employment but am sure that I would be able to get this.
Would my husband need to stay here in the US and I go to Canada first or would they process our applications together?
If I have a job offer, do we all go together while the application is being processed?
Do I start the application and then find a job offer? If the job wants me to start right away do I go first on a work visa?
Will my husband be able to have a work visa if I am sponsoring him with our family application?

I am totally lost and don't want to spend money in applications and documents that we don't need. Any help would be great.

Thank you so much!
Celeste
1. Run don't walk away from the lawyer, s/he doesn't know what s/he is talking about.
2. Your spouse is ineligible to apply for rehabilitation until 5 years after the completion of the sentence, 2018 or 2016 ( if there is early termination)
3. As your dependent is criminally inadmissible to Canada as either an Immigrant or visitor, it makes you inadmissible as well as an Immigrant.
4. If you don't have arranged employment do you actually have at least 67 points and one years experience in the occupations on the list of 29? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list If not, you don't qualify.
5. You may wish to read this on DWI: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/visas/inadmissibility-interdiction.aspx?lang=eng

Jae Ann

Feb 11, 2014
Hi guys,

My family is deciding to apply for MPNP under family Support stream.I have an uncle to sponsor me.I'am qualify to the criteria except that im thinking my husband situation.He is a highschool under graduate and i dont have any papers on hand to support his education attainment as what is asking to attach in MPNP online.
Is this situation affect our application?
Pls advice me..