+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa - URGENT Advice

Relhan

Mar 25, 2018
Hi Experts,

I am in sheer need of your help about the situation I am in related to Canadian Spouse Visa.

My boyfriend is settling in Canada and has already applied for his PR and currently his profile is under background verification check and he expect to receive his CoPR within next 20 days.

We are dating from last 4 years and our parents are very adamant about us getting married before he leaves the home country so can you please guide me what procedures we shall do on our end so that we can plan to move together to Canada.

I was reading the law/thread and it says that a PR holder can sponsor his wife only when he is physically present in Canada and have a stable financial condition there so that spouse doesn’t require any social assistance from Govt. of Canada. As you must be aware that when a person moves to Canada leaving his/her home country behind, he will need some time to settle down there (approx 6 to 8 months) and after being financially stable will sponsor his spouse which will take another 5 to 6 months making the lead time to be more than 2 years. It will be very challenging for both of us emotionally to be in a long distance relationship for so long even after being married.

I was wondering is there any way that my name can be added in his profile after our marriage which will be happening soon and then Visa processing for both of us can be done as a married applicant rather than single applicant.

I am looking forward to your response as different advisory firms are giving different options and the solutions are poles apart. I am highly confused who is right and who is wrong so I am approaching you for your genuine help.

Thanks in advance!

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there, the thing is if he already applied for himself, and didn't add you in his application, he cannot do it now. However, after you get married, he has to inform cic of this change.

The best and easiest thing would have been to apply together as a couple.

But now you both have to wait until he is settled, that is true. Not easy...

So, if he is planning to move right now, you'll have to apply for a visitor visa for now, and, if you want to stay in Canada with him, you'll have to apply to extend your stay as visitor once here. They usually grant you extension for 1 year, so that way is fine. However, you have to be aware that you won't be able to work, so that is also a challenge. Once he is settled, you can apply for PR. But this way, at least you're togehter. I dont see many more options...

If you want to share the options the lawyers gave you so as to compare, it would be interesting.