+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship refusal - Now what?!?!

Doost

Dec 22, 2010
I was sponsored by my wife and we filed our case in Dec 2010. Today I got refusal letter from CHC-ISB that our case is refused. We both live in Pakistan and I had submitted concrete evidence that I would be selling my business and move to Canada once my case is approved. Along with that I had submitted my company documents, banks statements, evaluations of the land i own, support letter from my sister who lives in Canada, supporting letters from my family my in-laws in favor of our plans of relocating to Canada. My wife has never worked and now that we have a baby it's not possible for her to leave me behind and go to Canada and live/work there and file for me from Canada.

The funny thing is, last week I received re-medical forms from CHC-ISB but they had pasted my wife's photograph on the form by mistake. I returned them the medical form and asked for a revised one but I was shocked to open this letter today with a refusal.

- How do I file the notice of appeal? I asked a lawyers online and he replied I need to sign and scan it and send it to him but I did not receive any form to fill.

-Do i really need to hire a lawyer at this stage or do/should I hire at a later stage? (they are really expensive - do I have options???)

- Someone told me it could take 18 months for the hearing. Is that true??

- How soon will the hearing take place? Since we both are not in Canada how will it work out? Over phone ?

Below is what was on the refusal letter. I was not able to understand what I have highlighted in bold since its law terminology difficult to interpret. I would appreciate if some expert sheds some light on the below as well as the queries. Thanks

" I have completed the assessment of your application. After careful and thorough consideration of all aspects of your application and the supporting information and documents provided, I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for a permanent resident visa.

Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Section 120 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) states that for the purposes of Part 5 of the Regulations,
(a) a permanent resident visa shall not be issued to a foreign national who makes an application as a member of the family class or to their accompanying family members unless a sponsorship undertaking in respect of the foreign national and those family members is in effect, and
(b)-a foreign national who makes an application as a member of the family class and their accompanying family members shall not become permanent residents unless a sponsorship undertaking in respect of the foreign national and those family members is in effect and the sponsor who gave that undertaking still meets the requirements of section 133 and, if applicable, section 137.
Subsection 133(1)(a) of the Regulations states (in part) that a sponsorship application shall only be approved by an officer if, on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application, there is evidence that the sponsor is a sponsor as described in section 130.
Subsection 130(2) states that, a sponsor who is a Canadian Citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an application referred to in the subsection (1) by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Your sponsor, who is a Canadian citizen, currently does not reside in Canada and I am not satisfied, based on the information provided on your application and your response that she will reside in Canada should you be granted permanent residency. Your sponsor does not, therefore, meet the requirements of subsection 130(2) of the Regulations and as a result, you do not meet the requirements of section 120 of the IRPR.
Section 41(a) of the IRPA states that a person is inadmissible for failing to comply with this Act in the case of a foreign national, through an act or omission which contravenes, directly or indirectly, a provision of this Act; and
Subsection 11(1) of the Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to "this Act" include regulations made under it. For the reasons set out above, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act. I am therefore refusing your application.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1. The letter you received was the one addressed to the applicant. A similar letter will be sent to the sponsor containing information on your rights to file notice of your intention to appeal the decision to deny her application.

2. Basically, they are not satisfied with the evidence you provided of your intention to relocate to Canada if she is approved as a PR. If you feel you can, without the assistance of a lawyer, provide sufficient evidence to overcome the officer's objection, then you don't need one initially. I recommend using one, though.

3. Yes, it can take as much as 18 months to get a hearing date. Efforts are being made to reduce this timeline, but currently, depending on what city you will be in, it takes as much as 4-6 months just to be scheduled for a hearing date.

4. You must appear in person in Canada for the hearings. The IAD will not entertain a sponsorship appeal where the sponsor won't even be in Canada.

imran364

Sep 8, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They send a letter to my wife who is PR holder & my sponsor that her eligibility to sponsor me which was Decision made as Eligible has been revert due to she was not in Canada During the processing of Application on 3rd December.
then i have received a letter from London visa office to pay my RPRF , Re- Medical & CSQ for my new born baby.
i am very confused in this situation . Please advise

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
imran364 said:
They send a letter to my wife who is PR holder & my sponsor that her eligibility to sponsor me which was Decision made as Eligible has been revert due to she was not in Canada During the processing of Application on 3rd December.
then i have received a letter from London visa office to pay my RPRF , Re- Medical & CSQ for my new born baby.
That's why you're denied right there! As a PR, she can only sponsor you while she is in Canada. Only Canadian citizens can sponsor while outside of Canada. No point in even appealing that decision. Once she can move to Canada, then she should do so and just re-apply on your behalf at that time.

ipoo

Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office (15-June-2015) File Received at CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015 & Decision Made on 09/02/2016
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2015
IELTS Request
None-Not Required
File Transfer...
24-08-2015
Med's Request
No-Remedical
Med's Done....
02-06-2015 Upfromt
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
16-Feb-2016 submitted 22-Feb-2016 PP received on 23-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-Mar-2016, PP dispatch 31 March, Call for Collection 01-Apr-2016
LANDED..........
Inn-Sha-Allah soon
truesmile said:
That's why you're denied right there! As a PR, she can only sponsor you while she is in Canada. Only Canadian citizens can sponsor while outside of Canada. No point in even appealing that decision. Once she can move to Canada, then she should do so and just re-apply on your behalf at that time.
Seems like sugur candy to put one's mouth.. Being a Citizen doesn't seems to me count. I am Canadian living with wife(PR applied) exclusively. The Cic is asking from my wife about my being living outside Canada R130 1 they put on our file, and asking for "intent to reside".. CIC is crap.. asking what shouldn't be asked from a citizien.. Its just a buzz word to me, being living outside exclusing being a Citizen. I feel like betrayal of the system. CIC didn't ask a single question regarding our marriage. We are married almost 5 years, have one kid, 3 years old, has his citizenship and passport ready, but still cic asked that crap "intent to reside" from a Canadian citizen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ipoo said:
Seems like sugur candy to put one's mouth.. Being a Citizen doesn't seems to me count. I am Canadian living with wife(PR applied) exclusively. The Cic is asking from my wife about my being living outside Canada R130 1 they put on our file, and asking for "intent to reside".. CIC is crap.. asking what shouldn't be asked from a citizien.. Its just a buzz word to me, being living outside exclusing being a Citizen. I feel like betrayal of the system. CIC didn't ask a single question regarding our marriage. We are married almost 5 years, have one kid, 3 years old, has his citizenship and passport ready, but still cic asked that crap "intent to reside" from a Canadian citizen.
Being a Canadian citizen certainly does count. It's the difference between being able and not being allowed to do something. Canadian citizens are in fact allowed to sponsor from outside of Canada and we've had countless of people who have done so on this forum. You are, however, required to provide proof that you plan to return to Canada once the visa is approved. Canada wants to know that you actually plan to relocate to Canada and aren't just applying for PR as a convenience.

PRs are flat out not allowed to sponsor spouses while outside of Canada. So yes - a pretty massive difference. And being a citizen certainly does count. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to apply as you have.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
imran364 said:
There's no point appealing. You were correctly refused as your spouse must be living in Canada when she sponsors you and must continue living in Canada while the application is being processed.

The only choice is for your wife to return to Canada and submit a brand new sponsorship application. This time she needs to remain in Canada.