+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship query

james85

Mar 23, 2012
Hi, I'm currently on a visitors working visa in B.C. which expires in 3 months. I am hoping to marry my canadian girlfriend and apply for spouse sponsorship, however the duration of our relationship is only about 5 months. We would both be heartbroken if I had to return home but I fear that the duration of our relationship seriously reduces the chance of an application being successful, does anybody know of any cases of similar circumstances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
How plausible your whirlwind romance story is depends on a lot of things.
Like, where are you from?
How did you two initially meet?
How much do you know about each other's families and have you met any of them (either side)?
What kind of marriage ceremony are you planning? (Much ado about everything or quick trip to the registry office?)
How much documentation (aside from your marriage certificate) will you have to support your application?

james85

Mar 23, 2012
I'm from England

We met at work and started dating a couple of weeks later and became inseparable

I have visited her family and frequently spend time with her sister and her husband/children. Unfortunately we have not been able to visit my family due to the distance but we all speak on skype frequently. The ceremony would be a civil ceremony as I am not religious and we wouldn't be able to afford anything lavish. However I have plenty of photos of us taking trips together, with her family, receipts from gifts we have given eachother, valentines gifts/photos and lots of correspondence.

I appreciate the help

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
OK, well, the good news is as you're from the UK, they are very less likely to view yours as a relationship of convenience. You're from a country with similar standard of living, you're obviously employable and you already have history with your families, in spite of the distance between her and yours.

A small wedding, so long as it is in keeping with your beliefs and circumstances, will not count against you. What you want to have is a clearly documented inception and development of your relationship, and what has led you both to the decision to commit and that you have a good understanding of all that is involved in your being sponsored.

Start gathering your documents, and no matter how small the wedding, include whatever planning went into it, and definitely get letters of support from both sides of the family, showing that your commitment is known, you are presenting as a couple and they are supportive.

Ask yourself, how did we explain how we made this commitment so fast to everyone who matters to us? And then put it down on paper for the immigration officer.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
james85 said:
The ceremony would be a civil ceremony as I am not religious and we wouldn't be able to afford anything lavish.
A small civil ceremony is fine, but make your life easier for the sponsorship and make whatever you do look special - get dressed up, have rings, have as many friends and family there as possible. Have some kind of reception afterwards, even if it is just dinner at a good restaurant with the family. Have photos taken.
Document everything to do with the marriage: the proposal, engagement party if any, bachelor and stagette parties if any, the ceremony itself and the reception. You don't have to do anything fake or against your principles, but if it does not look like it was a special occasion for the two of you, the visa officer will have questions.