+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship - My wife is pregnant

JackyChan

Dec 31, 2015
Hello, i am Canadian citizen and now living in Toronto. My wife entered Toronto as traveller in early Apr 2015 and i submitted spouse sponsorship application for her in Jul 2015 before i realized the processing time for applicant living inside Canada takes 18 months. My wife has been pregnant for about 6 months already. i have 2 questions:
1) i sent application to Visa office to extend my wife's visa when it's about to expire but have yet heard any feedback. How do i ensure her visa gets extended or not and how do i follow up on this? I'm afraid she would be considered as ineligible staying in Toronto.
2) my wife will deliver in Apr 2016, yet the application is still in progress under 18 months. is there a channel to expedite the request given our new current status? i talked to our Immigration Consultant (i leveraged his assistance to submit the application and i paid), but he doesn't seem to do anything for me. Can i write and keep calling Visa Office to speed up the status? The big problem here is i will need to face the high cost of baby delivery for non-Canadian immigrant/citizen for over CAD 15,000.

Look forward to your advice!

Happy New Year!

regards,
Jacky

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The process actually takes around 27 months.

1) She has implied status until a decision is made in her extension application. Did you include an open work permit application with her PR application as well?
2) No - CIC won't expedite. There's no chance she'll have PR (or health care coverage) before the baby is born. If you want to keep the costs low, look into having an at home birth with the assistance of a midwife.

JackyChan

Dec 31, 2015
if i state her pregnancy status, will her visa extension application get approved quickly? i mailed it to Visa office but yet heard any response. where shall i contact and chase the status?
Because of the high cost of baby delivery for non-residence in Toronto, i'm planning to send my wife back to HK for delivery before she re-enters Toronto few months after the baby is born. i have questions:
1) her visa renewal has yet confirmed, will she have problem exit Toronto in next 2 months?
2) will she get problem to enter Toronto again when she carries the baby after born few months later before PR application is granted?
3) does she allow to stay in Toronto exceeding the normal 6 months visa (for Hongkonger) while the PR application is in progress?
4) does she allow to work in Toronto if i apply work permit for her in the PR application before it is approved?

regards,
Jacky

JackyChan

Dec 31, 2015
and if my wife goes back to hk to give birth then travels back to Toronto few months later,
1) will she easily get enter to Toronto again given the pending PR application?
2) does it mean i have to extend her visa every 6 months before the PR is approved?
2) is it possible that i apply Canadian Citizenship and Passport for my baby when my wife brings him to Canada given i'm Canadian citizen, though the baby is born outside Canada? does you know how long does the process take?

regards,
Jacky

Reactions: Dang0218

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Again NO - telling CIC she is pregnant WILL NOT speed up the processing of the application. Pregnancy has zero impact on processing times. While some applications are processed faster than others, you're looking at an absolute minimum of 18 months. So she will definitely not have health care coverage if she delivers the baby in Canada and you will be responsible for paying all costs associated with the birth.

She can certainly leave Canada. Whether she is allowed back in is impossible for any of us to say. She probably would. But it's also possible entry could be refused. When you apply inland, you are supposed to remain in Canada for the duration of processing.

If you included an open work permit with her inland application, then it should be granted approximately four months after the application was submitted. This would allow her to work in Toronto (but won't give her health care coverage).

She can remain in Canada for more than six months as long as you included an open work permit with the inland application.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
JackyChan said:
if i state her pregnancy status, will her visa extension application get approved quickly? i mailed it to Visa office but yet heard any response. where shall i contact and chase the status?
Because of the high cost of baby delivery for non-residence in Toronto, i'm planning to send my wife back to HK for delivery before she re-enters Toronto few months after the baby is born. i have questions:
1) her visa renewal has yet confirmed, will she have problem exit Toronto in next 2 months?
2) will she get problem to enter Toronto again when she carries the baby after born few months later before PR application is granted?
3) does she allow to stay in Toronto exceeding the normal 6 months visa (for Hongkonger) while the PR application is in progress?
4) does she allow to work in Toronto if i apply work permit for her in the PR application before it is approved?

regards,
Jacky

Hello,

I can tell you what I learnt about these matters here on the forum (some of them personal experience, based on seniors' advice who had been in the system much longer than me and of course based on CIC guidelines)

1)she can exit, no one will force her to stay in the country
2) it is very high risk as they are not always allow back people if they left during inland sponsorship process (if you apply outland you can travel in and out, but inland is designed for people already living in Canada)
this is a quote from CIC :

Taking a vacation outside of Canada should not affect your application for permanent residence. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you may not be allowed to come back into Canada. Each time you come back, you must meet all the rules for entering the country.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

a valid passport or other travel documents;
a valid work permit, if you are returning to work in Canada ( this is my note: the OWP you get through the sponsorship program (case type 27) states at the bottom, that it does not authorize for re-entry, so your wife would not have the type of work permit that is mentioned here (she would need a 'proper' work permit case type 20) but she will not get that through the sponsorshi[p program; and
a valid temporary resident visa, if you are a citizen of a country for which Canada requires one.

BTW I do not think she could receive PR if you applied inland but she is out of the country, there is a landing process which need her to be in the country

3) yes, if you already applied for open work permit with your inland sponsorship application that would provide her automatically implied status. If you are nervous about whether she would get the OWP or not ( although I do not think anybody got refused ever for work permit) then for your peace of mind you can apply for visitor visa extension for her or if she has already run out of visitor visa status you can apply for visa restoration : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
I did this, even though I knew I had implied status by applying for OWP I wanted to be super secure and applied for visitor visa extension after my sponsorship and OWP package was sent, because I knew my visitor status would end end before I get reply for my OWP application. Sure enough my OWP arrived and I called CIC to cancel my visitor visa extension and since they have not started to process that I got full refund

4)she can work with her open work permit what she receives what you submit through the inland sponsorship once the work permit arrived to your address, then she has to apply for a SIN number at a service Ontraio and from that point she can be employed. ( I believe it takes about 4 month to get the work perk permit, so it is much earlier than 18-27 month of PR processing time

Other notes on pregnancy:

I am pregnant as well in Ontario and I would highly recommend to get in touch with a midwife. They provide free pregnancy care for Ontario residents (regardless their immigration status) They will provide you with a piece of paper which covers you expenses for tests (eg pregnancy blood test, gestational diabetes and ultrasound if needed) it will not cost you anything ( the paper will contain information how the labs can bill the tests expenses to the ministry of health, similar as community health centers do for people ho do not have health coverage).
You can consider homebirth or if you feel safer for a more hospital-like environment your midwife will direct you to the Toronto birth center http://www.torontobirthcentre.ca/. Midwives deliver babies there too. Of course you can deliver in a hospital as well, but that has costs you mentioned earlier. If you have a midwife they will offer you these 3 options: home, birth center, hospital. Only the the hospital costs. The midwives are super professional
(that's their job! pregnancy care and delivering babies!) so your wife will have a very positive experience for sure instead of freaking out about being pregnant and the implications:)
also I would recommend to take part in prenatal classes, I have a bunch of online resources if your wife if interested I can send it to you guys over

One more thing if you have a midwife than she is your primary care giver, you can not have a doctor, it is either or...you can have only 1 primary caregiver. Personally I like it b/c I got very close follow up and personal care from my midwife than i would have gotten from a busy OB, plus i had the same tests done which would have been ordered by an OB.

As for processing time, being pregnant or even having a baby during the PR application has no affect whatsoever on application processing.

Hope all is going well with the pregnancy and pls feel free to reach out if you need any further info on being pregnant in Ontario while waiting for inland spouse sponsorship. I am due on Jan 10 so hope will be able to respond before junior is here:)

all the best!

Reactions: oaw