+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship and social assistance? am I receiving one?

mmz07

Jun 16, 2008
Hello,

I am a student attending full time studies at university and I wanted to sponsor my spouse. My mother receives social assistance and I am listed as a dependent under her. I have a couple questions:

1) The cheque that my mother receives does not have my name, hence the assistance received is by my mother though since I am a dependent on her,she also supports me and she receives some more assistance because of me. Does that mean that if I sponsor my spouse, I will not be eligible? I mean if they check up to see if I am receiving social assistance will my name pop up in the system due to my mother?

2) If the answer to the above question is Yes, and i will be rejected due to receiving social assistance; lets say if i take of my name from under my mother, how long do I have to wait to submit my sponsorship application so that I wont be refused. I have heard that I have to wait atleast 3 months, because for 3 months it will show in their system if a person was in receipt of social assistance?

My forms and everything is ready and my priority is to get the process started as soon as possible. Do you guys have any suggestions? thanks for the help in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you call CIC and ask. You don't want to send in an application based on something you think might happen if it will be rejected. Also try a newcomers center in your town. They might have access to a free lawyer.