+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit

AI1988

May 2, 2024
Hello all, I am currently doing diploma from St. Clair College in Windsor and just finished my second semester. I applied for my wife open work permit back in September 2023 and it got refused yesterday based on the following reasons:

I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors: • You have significant family ties in Canada. • The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application. • Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence.

My question is that can i reapply the spouse open work permit again? I know there are changes made recently and diploma holders are not eligible for spouse open work permit but my case is old.
I talked to one of the lawyers and she said that it is rejected because you are a diploma student regardless of your application date. and she is not sure if we can reappply

Any guidance would be appreciated

Thank you :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all, I am currently doing diploma from St. Clair College in Windsor and just finished my second semester. I applied for my wife open work permit back in September 2023 and it got refused yesterday based on the following reasons:

I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors: • You have significant family ties in Canada. • The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application. • Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence.

My question is that can i reapply the spouse open work permit again? I know there are changes made recently and diploma holders are not eligible for spouse open work permit but my case is old.
I talked to one of the lawyers and she said that it is rejected because you are a diploma student regardless of your application date. and she is not sure if we can reappply

Any guidance would be appreciated

Thank you :(
Order GCMS notes. When do you graduate? You may want to show new proof of funds for two which is about $26k to show that you are able to support her coming to Canada. She needs to address reasons for refusal and show ties to return.

AI1988

May 2, 2024
Thank you very much for your response!

Okay I can order that..

I graduate in April 2025

I can reapply but don't you think the new update of not issuing spouse work permit to diploma holders will effect me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you very much for your response!

Okay I can order that..

I graduate in April 2025

I can reapply but don't you think the new update of not issuing spouse work permit to diploma holders will effect me?
I cannot say what IRCC is doing. Assume your spouse applied at the same time as you.