+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit

postdoc_user

Aug 29, 2020
Hi friends, not sure which thread would be better to post this query. But I have a doubt regarding 'Open Work Permit for Spouse'. My wife has received an offer from university and is supposed to join as 'Postdoctoral Fellow' in Montreal (Quebec) in October. (1). Should we apply both of our visa together (i.e. open work permit for me as well)?, (2). Will the application be eligible for 2-week processing under Global Skill Strategy, (3). Are we supposed to show personal funds statement as well?
Kindly help if anyone has faced same situation, would be really helpful to us. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi friends, not sure which thread would be better to post this query. But I have a doubt regarding 'Open Work Permit for Spouse'. My wife has received an offer from university and is supposed to join as 'Postdoctoral Fellow' in Montreal (Quebec) in October. (1). Should we apply both of our visa together (i.e. open work permit for me as well)?, (2). Will the application be eligible for 2-week processing under Global Skill Strategy, (3). Are we supposed to show personal funds statement as well?
Kindly help if anyone has faced same situation, would be really helpful to us. Thank you!
Yes you can apply for SOWP together. You really need to apply for WP ASAP. You may qualify for GSS but it rarely only takes 2 weeks especially during covid. Have you done your biometrics before?

postdoc_user

Aug 29, 2020
Yes you can apply for SOWP together. You really need to apply for WP ASAP. You may qualify for GSS but it rarely only takes 2 weeks especially during covid. Have you done your biometrics before?
Thank you for inputs @canuck78, I have not done any biometrics earlier.

A few more doubts, you may please reply as per your convenience and availability:
1. Would both of us be applying through 'same cic/ircc login account' where my wife will be primary applicant?

2. I also came across below statement (also given link below) which confuses me, we thought application is for visa itself. Any idea what it means:
"The worker does not need to apply for a visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA). We issue the documents they need when we process their work permit application. "
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/global-skills-strategy/2-week-processing.html

3. Would I need LMIA approval or CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) for me? However, my wife is totally exempt of LMIA (compliance fee already paid by employer) and CAQ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for inputs @canuck78, I have not done any biometrics earlier.

A few more doubts, you may please reply as per your convenience and availability:
1. Would both of us be applying through 'same cic/ircc login account' where my wife will be primary applicant?

2. I also came across below statement (also given link below) which confuses me, we thought application is for visa itself. Any idea what it means:
"The worker does not need to apply for a visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA). We issue the documents they need when we process their work permit application. "
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/global-skills-strategy/2-week-processing.html

3. Would I need LMIA approval or CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) for me? However, my wife is totally exempt of LMIA (compliance fee already paid by employer) and CAQ?
Are you sure your wife does not need CAQ? Have you already done your biometrics because offices in India are currently closed?

Elizabeth178

Star Member
Jun 17, 2020
I got my Visa today applied for spouse open work permit .so got worker in passport stamped
So with this how can I work what procidure I have to do to get work .
Any documents needed.
How many hours cam work can any 1 suggest me how it works what to do next step .having these type visa .

Any job. Websites I can apply .

postdoc_user

Aug 29, 2020
Are you sure your wife does not need CAQ? Have you already done your biometrics because offices in India are currently closed?
No, we have not done biometrics yet and we are yet to start the application. It was mentioned along with her offer letter mail that LMIA approval and CAQ both are not needed for her. Also, somewhere in the application it asks for type of job and 'Highly Skilled worker or researcher' under GSS is the closest one. However as per definition of GSS webpage it looks like these job roles are only for short-term work permit (it does not mentioned LMIA-exempt roles anywhere in this list which is a rather broad category as per GSS eligibility)?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/global-skills-strategy/exemptions.html

We have not submitted the application because I want to make sure I apply correctly, would be really helpful if it is possible for you to guide for above questions. Many thanks!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, we have not done biometrics yet and we are yet to start the application. It was mentioned along with her offer letter mail that LMIA approval and CAQ both are not needed for her. Also, somewhere in the application it asks for type of job and 'Highly Skilled worker or researcher' under GSS is the closest one. However as per definition of GSS webpage it looks like these job roles are only for short-term work permit (it does not mentioned LMIA-exempt roles anywhere in this list which is a rather broad category as per GSS eligibility)?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-temporary-foreign/global-skills-strategy/exemptions.html

We have not submitted the application because I want to make sure I apply correctly, would be really helpful if it is possible for you to guide for above questions. Many thanks!
First of all your wife should apply as soon as possible If her job starts in October. 2 weeks processing time is pretty unusual. It usually takes longer. Your wife qualifies for GSS.

postdoc_user

Aug 29, 2020
First of all your wife should apply as soon as possible If her job starts in October. 2 weeks processing time is pretty unusual. It usually takes longer. Your wife qualifies for GSS.
Thank you, yes we have started the process (awaiting a few docs). We might get joining dates extended if possible. I don't think there should be an issue even if she travels after her joining date, once she gets visa (except losing some period of employment). I will try to get SOWP, but might travel after her.

sharareh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2014
Hi all,
I am extending my study permit and my wife should extend her work permit. She has no job yet. I’ wondering if you can help me about the option we have to select on form for extending her work permit.
Options are: extend with same employer, apply for the first time, for inadmissible applicant Only and restore my status as worker.
I don’t know which option should I select.
I appreciate for ur help my friends.