Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I had recently received a medical request from CIC and underwent the tests on 9th June.
My concern is, are there still any chances of application rejection?
how soon should i be hearing from CIC??

will share my timelines once i receive the PP..

Thanks

TARU

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
Boso said:
Hi All,

I had recently received a medical request from CIC and underwent the tests on 9th June.
My concern is, are there still any chances of application rejection?
how soon should i be hearing from CIC??

will share my timelines once i receive the PP..

Thanks
Hey Boso,

Congrats it's almost final you are going to get the Passport with flying colors visa..

Can you tell me it was paper application or online application ..

What are the documents you have attached with your application.

Regards
Taru....

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
fkl said:
Most of what i would suggest is just personal opinion based upon what i have seen - not written any where.

a) If you didn't apply together in the first place, at least wait until you actually join the program and show some progress. A document showing your current progress, plus your latest month's funding pay slip whatever should really help when you apply for him. Giving a reasonable gap if you didn't apply together makes sense to show change of circumstances - applying first, gotten approved and then applying for SOWP while you haven't actually moved yet would look questionable to me.

b) Writing a cover letter should help explaining all the details. So would attaching property evidence be, but don't count too much on it. Cover letter is not a requirement unless you have a deal breaker explanation. A lot of people dont apply together and go through it latter. In fact most people apply alone fearing risk of refusal at first. So they might not even look at the cover letter unless really needed.

c) More important would be proof of your status i.e. study permit, details of PhD and funding - if your permit is valid for a short time (say a year max), may be a letter from supervisor with good progress feedback and explaining your role is of vital importance. This INFO PROVES sort of your research responsibilities as well as financials which in my view would be the most important thing for CIC.

Completing one semester is not really important but you should at least have been here, collect a cheque or two (or what ever is the mode of your funding) and basically prove that you are actually studying at the program you pursued and were given visa for.

d) Citing his studies as what he is currently doing would be good. Don't try to over explain why you didn't apply together. They know it already. So don't give too much details. Instead focus on his profile, education, background and any assets.

Generally speaking, being employed in home country is important for principal applicant not for a spouse. But because it is a study visa dependent SOWP, it might have a role for the spouse too and having a job though would play a positive role.

But if it helps to know, my wife though being an MBA hasn't worked in like almost 10 years and we did get SOWP easily. At least two other friends of mine also did where one of whose spouse was quite younger, recently married and barely a graduate with no property back home.

However, all of these cases were for highly specialized skilled jobs where principal applicants were working in the relevant industry for 7 years or more with very well paid jobs in home country as well. So i don't know how much of an impact that had. But none of us owned any properties nor we had any significant bank accounts. Having funds for a year is not a requirement for people with confirmed jobs in Canada. Hope that helps
Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

I am still not sure for how long my TRV and study permit are valid. I still haven't received them. I figured out that showing I'm a legitimate student who shows results can help proving that I'm serious about my studies and that I'm using my visa as intended.

I want to be honest with them, and honestly, the main reason I want my husband to join me is because I want to be with him! So I can fully focus on my studies.

Like I said, I don't have an enormous amount of money but the scholarship and graduate assistantship cover more than 10k+4k CIC requires (I even have a few k more), per year, for all 4 years of my studies.

I am just scared because my husband doesn't have a job nor much work experience. We're students and we focused on studying so no time to build a strong career. But even without that, I have funding for the whole duration of my studies, and it's more than what CIC requires for the principal visa holder + dependent.

Once again, thank you so much for your reply.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
milimili said:

I am still not sure for how long my TRV and study permit are valid. I still haven't received them. I figured out that showing I'm a legitimate student who shows results can help proving that I'm serious about my studies and that I'm using my visa as intended.

I want to be honest with them, and honestly, the main reason I want my husband to join me is because I want to be with him! So I can fully focus on my studies.

Like I said, I don't have an enormous amount of money but the scholarship and graduate assistantship cover more than 10k+4k CIC requires (I even have a few k more), per year, for all 4 years of my studies.

I am just scared because my husband doesn't have a job nor much work experience. We're students and we focused on studying so no time to build a strong career. But even without that, I have funding for the whole duration of my studies, and it's more than what CIC requires for the principal visa holder + dependent.

Hi mili,

I am in the same boat, I mentioned in my invitation letter as well my husband mentioned in his that its extremely important for him to be here with me as i get through the crucial last two years of my PhD.

I also have the same scholarship but we still did show ~$16,000 in our account (combined). For PR file, they ask for around $14,000 to be shown in the bank account, which is avg money required for two people's living for one year. We should little bit more than that. Plus got letter from department's graduate chair about my funding and the work I do. Make sure you put that as well!

PS: We applied in May and my husband has already received his Medical Request.

Pari

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
BY THE RULE - study permit are issued duration of study + 3 months bridge..

if applied together with spouse - spouse normally gets owp - again depends on his professional resume too not all cases are approved - its case by case

let me know if u need any specific technical points

good luck

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
terki said:
BY THE RULE - study permit are issued duration of study + 3 months bridge..

if applied together with spouse - spouse normally gets owp - again depends on his professional resume too not all cases are approved - its case by case

let me know if u need any specific technical points

good luck
The thing is that we didn't apply together. My husband is a student in our home country and will be graduating by the end of this year. So he can't accompany me for now. We had no idea we could apply together if he didn't want to travel with me straight away.

Is this a problem? Can't we write and explain this?

As for his resume, he doesn't have a highly impressive one - student jobs here and there. Because he's a student (currently completing his Master's studies). There was no time to build a resume.

Any advice on how to approach this?

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
pari_p said:
Hi mili,

I am in the same boat, I mentioned in my invitation letter as well my husband mentioned in his that its extremely important for him to be here with me as i get through the crucial last two years of my PhD.

I also have the same scholarship but we still did show ~$16,000 in our account (combined). For PR file, they ask for around $14,000 to be shown in the bank account, which is avg money required for two people's living for one year. We should little bit more than that. Plus got letter from department's graduate chair about my funding and the work I do. Make sure you put that as well!

PS: We applied in May and my husband has already received his Medical Request.

Pari
As I understand, you're already a student (your husband didn't accompany you straight away?) So you applied later for him?

I don't have much money on my account (I'd like to save something, though), but I have a funding. I got my visa based on this funding + job (graduate assistantship), even though I still have no money on my account. So I think they count the funding, but of course more money is better.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
milimili said:

You are most welcome.

Having enough funding should be a strong point. Just keep it sufficient enough (a few k more than the CIC requirement, but don't over do it. Large properties with millions of dollars of statements far too often get rejected.

You would at max get a trv and study permit valid for the length of your program provided your passport is valid beyond its expiry. CIC does not issue any visa or work permit valid beyond passport's expiry, that is a rule.

Just be confident and try your best to build a complete and strong case. I think that for your spouse currently studying would be a good reason for not working. He should just show some reasonable funds for himself as well if he can easily and you should be good to go.

Because you guys do own properties, that should be included as it often serves as a tie. However, those are valuable only if they are in your own or your spouse's name.

All the best.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
milimili said:
As I understand, you're already a student (your husband didn't accompany you straight away?) So you applied later for him?

I don't have much money on my account (I'd like to save something, though), but I have a funding. I got my visa based on this funding + job (graduate assistantship), even though I still have no money on my account. So I think they count the funding, but of course more money is better.
Yup I am a student and I have been here ~8 years (did my bachelors, master and currently doing PhD). We got married last year so we applied in December 2013 through online application but it got rejected (online application mentions nothing about showing money in bank account or anything hence they cited financial reason).

We collected more than $16,000 and thn applied again in May. I too have funding+graduate assistantship+teaching assistantship but they dont take that as in actual money (including Tax returns which clearly show that my income is more thn $20,000/year). They want to see cash in the account or property (same is the case for PR application). Also, once u reach your university, check with your international student center, they should have a lawyer or consultant available for free for students. I used my university's lawyer who helped me put the file together (yes, for free!!).

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
pari_p said:
Yup I am a student and I have been here ~8 years (did my bachelors, master and currently doing PhD). We got married last year so we applied in December 2013 through online application but it got rejected (online application mentions nothing about showing money in bank account or anything hence they cited financial reason).

We collected more than $16,000 and thn applied again in May. I too have funding+graduate assistantship+teaching assistantship but they dont take that as in actual money (including Tax returns which clearly show that my income is more thn $20,000/year). They want to see cash in the account or property (same is the case for PR application). Also, once u reach your university, check with your international student center, they should have a lawyer or consultant available for free for students. I used my university's lawyer who helped me put the file together (yes, for free!!).
Now I'm confused about the funds. I assumed they are ok with the funding and the assistantship.... How else would they approve my own application? I didn't show any money, just funding and that I'll receive the assistantship.

I do, however, own an apartment in my name so maybe this counted for something?

There is no way for me to collect $14,000 in a year. I assumed my funding and assistantship was enough of a proof for money. We'll try to save something, but it will be about $5,000 max. I'll show them the proof that I own the property; maybe that'll help.

Thank you for your reply!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
pari_p said:

I doubt that they 'ignore any funding all together'. I suspect there was may be some more detail required or may be it was not sufficient. I don't know what is the tax on 20k or whether it is apart from university fee etc.

But i can tell you this, i applied from home country for wp, sowp, and study permits + trvs for 3 kids and got approvals. Although i submitted bank statements, there was not even 1k CAD in my account in terms of 'hard cash'. The purpose of statement was to show my income in home country, supported by pay stubs.

This is not an isolated case, i know of at least 3 other people with similar requirements. I remember the wordings of my employer's lawyer in Canada. For your class of people with a confirmed well paying job in Canada, there is no requirement of proof of funds. In fields for 'funds available for stay' or study for my kids, i was asked to put in my annual salary as in my job contract. Of course that is a pretty hefty amount compared to what is offered to a student, but then it is taxed at a much higher rate as well.

Bottom line - the point i am trying to make, is that you do not always need 'hard cash available in your account' and your funding does matter. For PR it is required because you simply do not have any prior arrangements in Canada either of job or otherwise, so that cannot be compared with a wp or even a funded study program.

I have a friend who is doing a post doc at a university in Ontario. His program was funded too and he also had no requirement to show hard cash for his spouse and child. Hope i got the point across.

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
fkl said:
You are most welcome.

Having enough funding should be a strong point. Just keep it sufficient enough (a few k more than the CIC requirement, but don't over do it. Large properties with millions of dollars of statements far too often get rejected.

You would at max get a trv and study permit valid for the length of your program provided your passport is valid beyond its expiry. CIC does not issue any visa or work permit valid beyond passport's expiry, that is a rule.

Just be confident and try your best to build a complete and strong case. I think that for your spouse currently studying would be a good reason for not working. He should just show some reasonable funds for himself as well if he can easily and you should be good to go.

Because you guys do own properties, that should be included as it often serves as a tie. However, those are valuable only if they are in your own or your spouse's name.

All the best.
Oh no, no millions of dollars or anything like that. It's just that my scholarship + assistantship covers more than the CIC required 14,000 for two people. Only a few k more, but it's above the required 14,000. However, all this money is just guaranteed by the University; I won't have it on my account at the start of the year.

I have one property in my name. It's not on his name, but I suppose that's not a problem. He will also inherit two properties and I will inherit an additional one. Though these are on parent's names so no idea if they count.

When you say "he should show some reasonable funds for himself", what is considered "reasonable"?

Thank you so much for your help.

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
fkl said:
I doubt that they 'ignore any funding all together'. I suspect there was may be some more detail required or may be it was not sufficient. I don't know what is the tax on 20k or whether it is apart from university fee etc.

But i can tell you this, i applied from home country for wp, sowp, and study permits + trvs for 3 kids and got approvals. Although i submitted bank statements, there was not even 1k CAD in my account in terms of 'hard cash'. The purpose of statement was to show my income in home country, supported by pay stubs.

This is not an isolated case, i know of at least 3 other people with similar requirements. I remember the wordings of my employer's lawyer in Canada. For your class of people with a confirmed well paying job in Canada, there is no requirement of proof of funds. In fields for 'funds available for stay' or study for my kids, i was asked to put in my annual salary as in my job contract. Of course that is a pretty hefty amount compared to what is offered to a student, but then it is taxed at a much higher rate as well.

Bottom line - the point i am trying to make, is that you do not always need 'hard cash available in your account' and your funding does matter. For PR it is required because you simply do not have any prior arrangements in Canada either of job or otherwise, so that cannot be compared with a wp or even a funded study program.

I have a friend who is doing a post doc at a university in Ontario. His program was funded too and he also had no requirement to show hard cash for his spouse and child. Hope i got the point across.
Thank you for clearing this up!

That's what I was thinking. Because I didn't submit any financial information when applying for my study permit - just the proof of funding from the University. So I suppose funding (scholarship, assistantship) do count. Plus, an assistantship is a job. It's not such a well-paid job of course, but I guess it can serve as a contract and a proof of future money (even if you don't have it on your account when you apply).

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
milimili said:
Oh no, no millions of dollars or anything like that. It's just that my scholarship + assistantship covers more than the CIC required 14,000 for two people. Only a few k more, but it's above the required 14,000. However, all this money is just guaranteed by the University; I won't have it on my account at the start of the year.

I have one property in my name. It's not on his name, but I suppose that's not a problem. He will also inherit two properties and I will inherit an additional one. Though these are on parent's names so no idea if they count.

When you say "he should show some reasonable funds for himself", what is considered "reasonable"?

Thank you so much for your help.
First and foremost - properties are shown for ties, not for funding. If it was for funding, people sell those, show proof of sell and put the money in their accounts.

Hence, 'to be inherited property' is irrelevant for proving ties and i don't think should even be submitted.

Spend a few months in Canada at least. Attach proof of receiving funding regularly AND UNIVERSITY's complete document SHOWING funding's commitment for the rest of the period.

I think that if you have enough money as per CIC's guide line for two people FROM FUNDING but with good evidence, you are good to go.

On a practical note, i find CIC's estimates a bit too conservative. I live in a relatively cheaper city (Montreal) and when i was living alone (my family was due to arrive latter) my rent was like 650 a month, and net living expense was around 1200. For two people this would reach around 2k a month. It is true that this estimate is NOT FOR students and would probably be for a couple who are professionals and can afford several things in this which students won't go for, but then Montreal is cheaper as well.

So i personally thought you should have (funding + available money) in the range of 25k CAD or so TOTAL to be comfortable specially if you are going to a place like Toronto or Vancouver. I don't know if you would get University housing, but getting a single bed room apartment for 600 is just not possible in those places. It is more like around 1k or higher.

Because your spouse applies separately and is not working, my definition of 'reasonable' is around 5-6k CAD (for him to show in his account). Even better if you could go up to 10k, but that is not a requirement, just my assessment viewing CIC's min limits plus the actual on ground cost of living. Remember to include SOURCE of this fund too since he is a student. If his parents gave him the money, some thing showing their status and capability to fund their son would be important. This helps CIC to distinguish if he really has this money on his disposal, rather than just having borrowed from some one to show in his account. This happens all the time, and those guys are way too experienced in dealing with this every day.

Lastly, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, attach sufficient proof of relationship. If you have been married for 8 years, just don't stick to marriage certificate only. Add some evidence of that period too unless you have kids as well. Evidence could be 'joint bank accounts', joint ownership of any thing. If you don't have those, you could add any thing you feel could sustain your relationship.

I was married for even longer and had kids, so this was not needed. Plus we were applying together and had never lived apart since marriage which would not be the case for you when your spouse applies. Otherwise, i could have for e.g. submitted health / life insurance policies - all of which indicate my spouse as next of kin. This is just an idea. You could pick up things more appropriate for your situation. But the point is to provide sufficient evidence to distinguish it from a 'marriage of convenience'

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
fkl said:
First and foremost - properties are shown for ties, not for funding. If it was for funding, people sell those, show proof of sell and put the money in their accounts.

Hence, 'to be inherited property' is irrelevant for proving ties and i don't think should even be submitted.
Yes, I understand this logic. So, would the fact I own the apartment help in this case? I mean, legally, it's half his even though his name is not on the contract.

Spend a few months in Canada at least. Attach proof of receiving funding regularly AND UNIVERSITY's complete document SHOWING funding's commitment for the rest of the period.
Oh, absolutely. It may seem like I'm getting ahead of myself but I want to prepare everything.

I think that if you have enough money as per CIC's guide line for two people FROM FUNDING but with good evidence, you are good to go.

On a practical note, i find CIC's estimates a bit too conservative.
Yes, I know about that, but as long as they ask for 14,000 only, I'm not complaining! He sure wants to get a job when he arrives. Plus, we don't drive so less money on gas, etc., I suppose.

Because your spouse applies separately and is not working, my definition of 'reasonable' is around 5-6k CAD (for him to show in his account).
Yes, that's what we were thinking, too.Around $5,000. I guess his father will get a loan or something and I will try to save some. Am I allowed to give him the money I saved and deposited on a joined account or not?

I understand their reasons. I know about people who try to scam the system (borrow the money and then give it back) but we're not like that.

Lastly, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, attach sufficient proof of relationship. If you have been married for 8 years, just don't stick to marriage certificate only. Add some evidence of that period too unless you have kids as well. Evidence could be 'joint bank accounts', joint ownership of any thing. If you don't have those, you could add any thing you feel could sustain your relationship.
This is a good advice. I assumed we didn't need any more proof because we're married for a relatively long time (we don't have kids yet, though). But I can offer additional things. I can see people here mentioning marriage photos. No idea if that applies to me. I can give them wedding photos and photos from our day to day life, if that's what they want to see. Though I suppose joined accounts are also important but we don't have any of those. Will have to think about it. I listed him as my next of kin and as my emergency contact in my official University account, not sure if that's going to help. I will give him an access to everything here so he can do things in my name while I'm in Canada, so maybe something like that? Thank you for suggesting this; I would never think about offering any proof of that kind.