+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

abdul538

Mar 26, 2015
Hey Guys,

one of my friend is currently working under closed WP and his wife has a Open WP but now his contract with the Company is ending so can he apply Open WP based on his wife Open WP?

Jasmohra

Jan 10, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am one of the 'April' candidates. SOWP applied online on 20th April. Status shows ' Medicals- Passed' . Waiting to hear about CSE which was submitted last week.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Riyas Siraj said:
I don't think there is anything else that you can do other that what you have already done. You can talk to CIC and try asking the customer service agent to send an email to the case processing agent, sometimes they do that. Also in your case way too much time has passed.

And the MP thing is for anyone who is already in Canada, the local MP's office sometimes helps in immigration matters. Since you are outside the country , this is not an option for you.
Hi Riyas,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried calling the IRCC call center and they informed me that they cannot view my file status since my application was not made from within Canada. I pointed out that their website /english/contacts/call.asp states that I can contact IRCC if I have submitted an application from within Canada or online. They repeated their position and asked me to contact the visa office in the country where I have submitted the application. I asked them if I have any other options and the reply was in negative. They were nice and polite though and acknowledged on their own that a significant amount of time has passed.

So, back to square one. I guess we can contact the MP of the area where my wife's educational institute is located since we are planning to reside in that area upon reaching Canada. At this stage, we just need the MP to request the processing of the file and we are not that concerned about the nature of outcome. Our entire life and plans are on hold awaiting the outcome and once we get the outcome we can plan accordingly.

Oh, and one more thing - we applied through a known lawyer firm and provided every document they asked for at the time of application. Ours is a very straightforward application. Based on my experience dealing with the lawyers I would recommend to other forum members to thoroughly vet their lawyer before engaging them because the application process is very simple and you could easily file the application yourself. Many times, the lawyers present professional employees before engagement and after paying them, you do not get the same treatment again.

Riyas, do you think asking the MP would have any detrimental effect at this time?

FKL, if you have the time, I would be grateful for your opinion and insights.

Thank you once again.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
Has any1 actually used a Mp? My wife is Barrie, shld i ask her to get in touch with the local MP Alex Nuttall? Conservative MP for Barrie-Springwater-Oro Medonte * assists citizens with Federal Government matters including Canadian passport, Immigration, Citizenship etc.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
OWP2015Dec said:
Hi Riyas,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried calling the IRCC call center and they informed me that they cannot view my file status since my application was not made from within Canada. I pointed out that their website /english/contacts/call.asp states that I can contact IRCC if I have submitted an application from within Canada or online. They repeated their position and asked me to contact the visa office in the country where I have submitted the application. I asked them if I have any other options and the reply was in negative. They were nice and polite though and acknowledged on their own that a significant amount of time has passed.

So, back to square one. I guess we can contact the MP of the area where my wife's educational institute is located since we are planning to reside in that area upon reaching Canada. At this stage, we just need the MP to request the processing of the file and we are not that concerned about the nature of outcome. Our entire life and plans are on hold awaiting the outcome and once we get the outcome we can plan accordingly.

Oh, and one more thing - we applied through a known lawyer firm and provided every document they asked for at the time of application. Ours is a very straightforward application. Based on my experience dealing with the lawyers I would recommend to other forum members to thoroughly vet their lawyer before engaging them because the application process is very simple and you could easily file the application yourself. Many times, the lawyers present professional employees before engagement and after paying them, you do not get the same treatment again.

Riyas, do you think asking the MP would have any detrimental effect at this time?

FKL, if you have the time, I would be grateful for your opinion and insights.

Thank you once again.
I assume by saying we "sent a letter 10 days ago", you mean you submitted a case specific inquiry.

That should do whatever is possible.

There isn't a lot that an MP can do - let alone some body being remote.

The only advice i have is to send a CSE once a month - or max every 20-25 days. In CSE specify that your intent was to leave together and your spouse already received SP.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
fkl said:
I assume by saying we "sent a letter 10 days ago", you mean you submitted a case specific inquiry.

That should do whatever is possible.

There isn't a lot that an MP can do - let alone some body being remote.

The only advice i have is to send a CSE once a month - or max every 20-25 days. In CSE specify that your intent was to leave together and your spouse already received SP.
Thank you FKL. Yes sorry, my immigration lawyer later confirmed that they submitted CSE and not an email enquiry.

Yes, we had prepared a letter to immigration stating that our intention is only to leave together and that my wife's SP was already approved in January. My lawyer says that they attached that letter with the CSE.

Another option I was thinking of was to withdraw my OWP application and submit a TRV - Residence application. In the TRV application, I will be transparent and state that we are applying because of the inordinate delay in processing of OWP. Do you think that might be a good idea?

I agree that MP may not be much helpful but if there is no harm in doing that, I would like to explore that option as well. Question for all forum members - have you faced any adverse outcome by contacting the MP?

Raj2404

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yadav said:
Has any1 actually used a Mp? My wife is Barrie, shld i ask her to get in touch with the local MP Alex Nuttall? Conservative MP for Barrie-Springwater-Oro Medonte * assists citizens with Federal Government matters including Canadian passport, Immigration, Citizenship etc.

Hi Yadav,

Yes I recently approached MP of our area to get the status of our application, I received a call from MP’s office and they said CIC told them that they haven’t even started reviewing the application yet, they will ask for additional information / documents required and update by end of this month positively. And lady also told me that report us back if you don’t hear back by end of this month, we will call back CIC in month end or first week of Aug.

You can always find area of your MP with help of this link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
OWP2015Dec said:
Thank you FKL. Yes sorry, my immigration lawyer later confirmed that they submitted CSE and not an email enquiry.

Yes, we had prepared a letter to immigration stating that our intention is only to leave together and that my wife's SP was already approved in January. My lawyer says that they attached that letter with the CSE.

Another option I was thinking of was to withdraw my OWP application and submit a TRV - Residence application. In the TRV application, I will be transparent and state that we are applying because of the inordinate delay in processing of OWP. Do you think that might be a good idea?

I agree that MP may not be much helpful but if there is no harm in doing that, I would like to explore that option as well. Question for all forum members - have you faced any adverse outcome by contacting the MP?
In my opinion there is no harm in contacting the MP's office. But as I said earlier, I am not sure how effective it would be considering that you are not residing here.

And also TRV might not be such a good idea. Because it's hard to convince the visa officer of your intentions.

And I don't what else is there for you to do.

I agree to FKL, rather than keep sending CSE's I don't see anything else that you can do. Try calling the visa office again, remember it's your need and not theirs.

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
yadav said:
Yes, you should contact the MP's office. They do help in these matters provided the said processing times have passed.

Saibaba92

Jun 23, 2016
@ Victor Paul

Hi Paul,

We applied for study permit (myself) & spouse (open work permit) on 13th June @ BANGALORE VFS (paper based application)

MEDICALS paased: 6th July ...after that no updates..

Waiting for reply from CIC.. :(

Questions:

1) Did u get any update on medicals passed etc..?

2) Do u have any idea..whether CIC will approve both visas (study permit+ spouse (owp)) (or) first they approve study permit & later spouse open work permit?

Can someone pls share inputs for above queries?

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
my wife contacted the mp's office and she is asked to visit peronsally on monday to explain the matter. they r willing to chk with cic on our behalf.