+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit? (Wife Has Study Permit)

gulskjegg

Jun 9, 2008
Hi All

My wife has gotten her letter of acceptance from a college in Canada. We have funds for a full semester and will be paying it to the school this week.

My question is, when we file my wifes study permit, what form do I file to get the open work permit?

Ive looked at the study permit and work permit forms and I dont see anything that says "click here if you are the spouse of a study permit holder".

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

mariogarza

May 13, 2008
Hello,

In the application form for a study permit, there is a part that says "include people who will accompany you to Canada and your relationship with him/her"

At least, here in the Mexican form provided by the Canadian Embassy is like that.

mariogarza

May 13, 2008
I believe you will have to apply for a work permit on your own... I wish I could give you more information but I don't know much about work permits

megha1

May 19, 2008
Hi gulskjegg

We had also applied for Study visa for my husband and an Open work permit for me (Spouse) from Abu Dhabi. We submitted two application forms seperately ie Study Visa Application form(IMM 1294) and Work Visa application(IMM 1295) form in single envelope, mentioning the purpose as applying for OPEN WORK PERMIT on student status and included a small explanation cover letter, as advised by the Abu Dhabi site officials.
U R right work permit application does says anything regarding "if you are the spouse of a study permit holder".

Hope my 2 cents helps!!
Regards

genius77

Star Member
Dec 25, 2008
hi megha1.. im intending to file for a student visa in abu dhabi also as i am currently working here in dubai now. mind if i ask you for how long where you able to process your student visa?

can you give me some tips on your strategy in getting the student visa plus the open work permit for your spouse..

thanks in advance and advance happy new year...

Cecilio1201

Jun 21, 2016
Hi Everyone;
Greetings! Hope everyone is doing out fine. I have several questions related to this topic and I would really, really appreciate for your kind response regarding the matter, as this would involves my family's future. An d I am pretty sure that anyone could relate for possibly being in a very same situation.

First and foremost, my wife is in Calgary, Alberta already since July of 2012 and holding a Temporary Working Permit. Her contract was about to end on July 2016. She never had the opportunity to get an available program to become a PR due to the moratorium in 2014 and the current changes in immigration ruling on PR nominations in Alberta.
Now, she got her TWP converted to STUDENT PERMIT. Now, esteemed ladies and gents, my enquiries regarding the matter would now begin.

My wife would now be applying for an Open Work Permit (OPW) and Student Permits respectively for our two (2) teen age sons.
1) If my wife would apply everything altogether in order for the 3 of us ( our 2 sons and me) can be able to move in to Canada all at the same time, would it require any sufficient support funds for us to raise? And how much would that be?
2) Why would it need such support funds be needed when my wife previously had worked there and once I get there, I would be able to go and get a work for me to support the financial needs of the family?
3) Would me and my 2 sons would still be applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) even my wife would apply for an Open Work Permit already?
4) What will be the next steps would my wife would be taking for her to get us the OPW and Student Permits for our 2 sons?
5) How long would be the processing of the OPW for me, if my wife will file the application with in this month (June 2016)?
6) When my wife applies for the OPW, is it required already that I would already provide my resume'/CV, scholastic documents, employment certifications (if necessary/needed) ?

My sincere apologies if I had asked too many enquiry questions regarding the matter. This is our first and we just don't want to make any mistakes along the to save time, effort and money for some practical reasons.

Any favorable response regarding the matter is highly and deeply appreciated. Thank you and more power. God Bless you always.

Yours truly,

Cecilio1201
Philippines