+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse moving before PR granted

BlueNose

Mar 2, 2015
Hi all, I have tried to search and can't seem to find an answer to this. Our Outland spousal sponsorship file has been moved to Ottawa VO for processing. We are considering having my spouse move to Canada a few months before we anticipate the final approval. He is from a visa exempt country. Is this allowed? Can he ship his belongings without it being an issue? Is there an issue with him bringing more that $10, 000 CAD (obviously he would declare the amount he is bringing)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, I have tried to search and can't seem to find an answer to this. Our Outland spousal sponsorship file has been moved to Ottawa VO for processing. We are considering having my spouse move to Canada a few months before we anticipate the final approval. He is from a visa exempt country. Is this allowed? Can he ship his belongings without it being an issue? Is there an issue with him bringing more that $10, 000 CAD (obviously he would declare the amount he is bringing)?
1) Yes, it's allowed - with the proviso that he can't 'move' permanently yet, but visit. If his status changes by getting PPR/COPR, that's fine, he won't need to return to home country. The difference might seem minor, he can apply to extend visa, etc - but emphasis will be stay legally while allowed to.

2) Not a good idea to ship belongings in advance - see above.

3) "Bring?" - how exactly? In cash? While not likely forbidden - just need to be declared - may be better to transfer later. (Not an expert, but transferring to spouse should be fine)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If he ships his belongings now, he will be charged duty and tax on them. If he waits until after he becomes a PR, then he can import his belongings without paying duty and tax. Best option would be to wait until after he has PR before he ships his stuff here.

Reactions: Underhill