+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse from OWP to SP

Bunda

Jan 23, 2022
Hi

I currently live in Canada with my spouse, he has an LMIA work permit and I have a OWP and am currently working

I have requested a study permit because I want to study

Will I be able to
1- keep both my owp and sp?
2- in case i dont keep both, just switch my owp for sp and keep working before my class starts?
3- leave canada to visit family in home country while my sp is being procesed?

Thank you very much!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi

I currently live in Canada with my spouse, he has an LMIA work permit and I have a OWP and am currently working

I have requested a study permit because I want to study

Will I be able to
1- keep both my owp and sp?
2- in case i dont keep both, just switch my owp for sp and keep working before my class starts?
3- leave canada to visit family in home country while my sp is being procesed?

Thank you very much!
1. No.
2. Yes
3. Yes but you may need a TRV to re-enter if yours is invalid or expiring.

For a study permit, you need to show education and career advancement in your home country. What better paying job will it give you in your home country to justify costs. Given you are in Canada on SOWP, you have more of a challenge to prove strong home ties (family, job, property, investments).

Bunda

Jan 23, 2022
Thank you very much :)

We have already done the application and we did not include any additional information that you are pointing out, i hope everything goes fine
I don't remember seeing any field requesting that, we didn't prove anything to come with work permit
Could this be related to nationality? We are chilean, we dont need visa for canada only permit
I hope everything goes fine, now im nervous