+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse did not declare me in old work permit application

iambbygirl

Jul 5, 2022
Hi,

me and my spouse started living together in May of 2020 and declared common law with Cra in December of 2021

my spouse filed for a work permit around November of 2021 and declared single.

He filed for his extension in December of 2022 and declared common law and was accepted in May of 2023. We however separated in April of 2023 for more than 90 days and he did not inform ircc of a change in his status.

We started living together again in December of 2023 and I’m hoping to do spousal sponsorship and was wondering g if any of this would affect the application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are aware that you cannot apply until you have cohabited together (again) for one full year, so you're looking at December of this year at the earliest.

Your `boyfriend' (in the eyes of IRCC as of today, since you are not yet deemed to be common law, again) needs to mention this in the application. He should write a short letter explaining his error and hope that IRCC does not punish him (and you) for misrepresentation.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
It doesn't matter very much. You need to have proofs of 12 months of continuous cohabitation before applying. That's what matters. If you are common laws. If you are married, then you are good anyway.