+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse applied for Study Permit from within Canada and application is delayed

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My spouse has applied for a study permit from within Canada mid September and we still have not yet heard back from CIC. The processing time of the application has exceeded the stated time on the CIC website (right not they are processing applications received Sept 20th).

Any idea what could be the reason for the delay? I have applied along with her for a spouse open work permit. Could this be a reason for the delay?

We have tried to call the CIC call center but they are no help. They don't even know the reason why.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just thought I would provide a little update.

We called CIC 800 number today and the lady advised that the file has been transferred to another office for verification. Any idea what this means? The processing time of our application has well passed the processing time posted on their website. They are now processing applications received Sept 24th.

I think the people who answer the phone never provided us with the same answer. Every time we hear something different.

nadeem1

Oct 31, 2012
Hey may i know incase if they refuse you'r spouse student permit can you guys appeal against their decision while you guys in canada?

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes we can. (not the Obama way) LOL

We have actually arranged with a lawyer and depending on the outcome of the application we will act accordingly. It is not actually an appeal, but rather, a judicial review.

What this means is our lawyer would apply in a Federal Court for a judicial review and the Judge will decide if any of the steps or reasons that lead to the rejection were in order and appropriate/followed the Canadian Immigration acts/guidelines. If the Judge finds the rejection decision unfair, they just rule to have the case re-considered by a different Immigration Officer.

Hope that helps.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Spouse Study Permit - APPROVED!

Thought I would update this post.

Our study permit and work permit applications have been approved today!!!!! Very excited.

We applied on Sept 15th and the applications were approved today Nov 19th. It was a little delayed but we are happy and relieved!!! woohooo

dreamy

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
hi

my applictaion for spousal work permit is for 17th Sept but haven't heard anything yet...
what are the enxt steps..do they ask anything else...we have not yet submitted the passports as it was online applictaion...

any guidance will help ..thanks!

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dreamy said:
hi

my applictaion for spousal work permit is for 17th Sept but haven't heard anything yet...
what are the enxt steps..do they ask anything else...we have not yet submitted the passports as it was online applictaion...

any guidance will help ..thanks!
You should hear back very soon because we are only 2 days apart. We have submitted an online application too.

All we did was apply and wait no next steps. You don't need to submit your passports. If approved, you should receive your permits in the mail.

Good luck.

dreamy

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
hi

finally got the permit..permit says not allowed to re-enter. Does that means we can't leave canada till 2015. My spouse has multiple entry visa till april though..does that means we can leave and re-enter before April. Please advise as we need to leave for some urgent stuff in Philippines in Dec'12.

Thanks

dreamy

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
hi

finally got the permit..permit says not allowed to re-enter. Does that means we can't leave canada till 2015. My spouse has multiple entry visa till april though..does that means we can leave and re-enter before April. Please advise as we need to leave for some urgent stuff in Philippines in Dec'12.

Thanks

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dreamy said:
hi

Thanks
If you have a valid TRV in your passport, you can leave and re enter.

If you do not have a valid TRV, you will need to apply for one from within Canada and the processing time is 30 days.