NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-08-2013
Hi all,

I'm a New Zealand citizen. My wife is a US citizen and should be eligible for a NAFTA work permit as a highly-skilled and experienced social worker.

As her spouse, am I able to live and work in Canada with her, or do I have to undergo some other application process?

Thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp:

If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work here by virtue of the permit you were issued. No other authorization is required. If they intend to work while in Canada, they should find out if they are eligible for an "open" work permit. Open work permits allow them to work in any job with any employer. An open work permit also means that they may be hired without the employer having to obtain a labour market opinion (the normal authorization required). Certain jobs may require medical checks or licensing from professional organizations. Accompanying family members’ work permits will be valid for no longer than the duration of your own work permit.

Typically, your spouse’s eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as NOC 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification, your spouse or common-law partner will be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.
And "social worker" is a valid NAFTA category (FW 1 "Temporary Foreign Worker" from the CIC website).

So, if your wife can find a job as a social worker (or requiring the person be a social worker as part of its requirements) AND can prove she is qualified for the job, then she can obtain a NAFTA work permit - offer letter for a NAFTA qualifying job, evidence she meets the requirements for the job, $150, two photos, and a completed application. Assuming her position is a NOC 0, A, or B category job (I didn't verify, but I'd expect a social worker position would) then you can apply at the same time as her (either at a POE or a visa office abroad) and you would be granted an open work permit if her NAFTA work permit is issued. Your work permit would be for the same amount of time as her work permit. You would need to have the fee ($150), two photos and a completed application as well.

You may also submit an application (inland) after she has entered Canada.

Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Susie1979 said:
Which aplication is that? The work permit application Made outside of Canada?
Assuming the application is submitted at the POE, yes, it is the work permit application for outside Canada.