+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ShubhamModi

Mar 1, 2024
Hello,

I am a permanent resident in Canada.
I met my partner (my wife) here in Canada as well.

My case is my wife came to canada as a student in 2019 end on a 2 year study permit until 2021. She was interested in applying for study permit extension for additional 2 years, as she wanted to do bachelors degree, so she applied. But only got 1 year extension until 2022 only. When she applied again for study permit extension after 1 year in 2022 for another 1 year she got rejected. Which is strange because she still had her studies incomplete.

As she got rejected, she applied for a restoration application to restore her status as a student here in canada in 2023.

In the mean time, I met her in 2023, we fell in love and got engaged and got married here in Canada with her application for restoration still in progress and we waiting for the result.

She got rejected for the restoration application as well and she had to leave canada immediately to go back to India.

Now we had put an outland spousal sponsorship application having me as a spouse sponser. Our strong points are we got engaged and married here in Canada and have submitted marriage certificate in our application. We also got married as per hindu religion in India as well and showed enough proofs of our relationship's genuineness. We both have name on our lease, our joint bank accounts, shared expenses, etc. We spent our time together and went on a honeymoon trip as well in canada and in India as well, which we have shown receipts as a proof.

Reviewing my case please guide me what could be the outcome of this application. I know that our file is strong enoughfor the approval, but my concern is will her study permit rejection and restoration application rejection impact our outland spousal sponsorship application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a permanent resident in Canada.
I met my partner (my wife) here in Canada as well.

My case is my wife came to canada as a student in 2019 end on a 2 year study permit until 2021. She was interested in applying for study permit extension for additional 2 years, as she wanted to do bachelors degree, so she applied. But only got 1 year extension until 2022 only. When she applied again for study permit extension after 1 year in 2022 for another 1 year she got rejected. Which is strange because she still had her studies incomplete.

As she got rejected, she applied for a restoration application to restore her status as a student here in canada in 2023.

In the mean time, I met her in 2023, we fell in love and got engaged and got married here in Canada with her application for restoration still in progress and we waiting for the result.

She got rejected for the restoration application as well and she had to leave canada immediately to go back to India.

Now we had put an outland spousal sponsorship application having me as a spouse sponser. Our strong points are we got engaged and married here in Canada and have submitted marriage certificate in our application. We also got married as per hindu religion in India as well and showed enough proofs of our relationship's genuineness. We both have name on our lease, our joint bank accounts, shared expenses, etc. We spent our time together and went on a honeymoon trip as well in canada and in India as well, which we have shown receipts as a proof.

Reviewing my case please guide me what could be the outcome of this application. I know that our file is strong enoughfor the approval, but my concern is will her study permit rejection and restoration application rejection impact our outland spousal sponsorship application?

Has your wife studied full-time with no breaks? If she had it would be incredibly unusual to get denied a study permit extension. Your application may be given additional scrutiny because your wife had already lost status when she met you. That doesn’t mean she will be rejected but given the timing and her desire to remain in Canada. The fact that you had a traditional wedding in India and have lived together will help you prove that this is a genuine relqtionship,