+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

aliacca

Jun 1, 2016
Hi
I am a PR cardholder who lives in the UAE. I got the PR card in 2016 with family and my PR card will be expired in August 2021 and I have not completed the 2 years requirement of staying in Canada. However, my spouse with kids has moved to Canada are living there since December 2019 (their PR expiry card date is August 2021 as well). I was the primary applicant for the immigration application.

I am planning to move to Canada in 2022 or 2023. Can my wife as a resident of Canada apply for the spousal sponsorship for me after my PR card will be expired?

Appreciate your advice in this regard.
SAA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You may wish to post in the residency oigation forum as well.

You would first have to renounce your PR status and then have your wife sponsor. She would have to show income or savings to support. And the process might be long indeed. And she would have to be in full compliance with the residency obligation and remain in Canada.

And of course always the risk you could be denied for some reason (if any).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you already know this but just in case you don’t while still a PR you are currently a tax resident of Canada (since 2019) even though you are not in Canada. You’ll need to file taxes based on your international income in accordance with any tax treaty with the country you are currently residing in.