+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

BLACKVINO8

May 4, 2017
Hello there
I have few questions about eligibility of spousal sponsorship. My wife is a Canadian citizen unemployed . She had a job before though. I am currently In Canada on a visitor visa still . I have asked so many consultants if we can start the application before she gets a job some said she needs to have an income another one said she doesn’t need to be employed what’s important for the government is that she is not on EI or social support kinda thing. However I go on the IRCC website and read the eligibility requirements to be a sponsor and I see the last point talks about the sponsor should be able to support the basic needs to their spouse so what does that means? I’m confused ! Also how would we get a lease agreement if we are staying at her family’s place and sharing the basic needs ? I heard that we could do a sub-lease agreement is that correct ? if anyone can help me with this I would be grateful and thankful

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. She doesn't need a job to apply, just that she cannot be on welfare. She can be on EI if she was laid off. The documents checklist and application guide, which you must read if you haven't already, specify that if she is not currently employed she must provide a detailed plan of how your family's financial needs will be met - which could include you working, for example.

2. A lease agreement isn't mandatory if you have other proof of cohabitation. Otherwise, if you are staying at her family's place, documents from them explaining this should help.

Reactions: BLACKVINO8