+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

CLW1992

Aug 22, 2017
My Husband and I will be moving to Canada in the next couple weeks, driving with our house held items through the Canadian boarder. I am a Canadian Citizen and my husband is an American Citizen, we have been married for 2 years and I am now pregnant with our first child (the main reason we are moving back to Canada to be closer to family ect) I want him to enter into Canada as a Visitor where then soon after entry we will submit his application for spousal sponsorship. When crossing the boarder, what are we to tell the boarder guards given our situation and having a moving truck with our stuff in it. What is the best way to go about this?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What is the best way to go about this?
Best way to do this, is not to even attempt it. Your husband is not allowed to move to or live in Canada, until he's a PR. If he enters as a visitor he's expected to act like a visitor, meaning he would have an address in the US and have plans to return to US within 6 months time. Showing up with a moving truck full of stuff, and no residence in the US, obviously would not reflect that of a visitor so there's a good chance he'll be refused entry. Some Americans have even been given temporary bans to enter Canada in these situations (it's all at discretion of CBSA officer you talk to).

Alternatively, he should attempt to enter Canada separate from you and the moving truck. Then he will better be able to convince CBSA he is actually a visitor.

You should also have already applied for his PR status using the outland method while still in USA. Seeing a PR app in progress, usually helps when dealing with CBSA at the border.

CLW1992

Aug 22, 2017
Best way to do this, is not to even attempt it. Your husband is not allowed to move to or live in Canada, until he's a PR. If he enters as a visitor he's expected to act like a visitor, meaning he would have an address in the US and have plans to return to US within 6 months time. Showing up with a moving truck full of stuff, and no residence in the US, obviously would not reflect that of a visitor so there's a good chance he'll be refused entry. Some Americans have even been given temporary bans to enter Canada in these situations (it's all at discretion of CBSA officer you talk to).

Alternatively, he should attempt to enter Canada separate from you and the moving truck. Then he will better be able to convince CBSA he is actually a visitor.

You should also have already applied for his PR status using the outland method while still in USA. Seeing a PR app in progress, usually helps when dealing with CBSA at the border.
Using the outland method- is he to use our current address in the US and as far as it goes for myself, on the application to sponsor him am i to use our current address here in the US and say i will be moving to Canada or use my new Canadian address?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Using the outland method- is he to use our current address in the US and as far as it goes for myself, on the application to sponsor him am i to use our current address here in the US and say i will be moving to Canada or use my new Canadian address?
It really doesn't matter. If you applied for his PR while living in the US, you'd put your US address and just update it to Canadian address once you're in Canada.

If you were already in Canada when applying, then can use Canadian address on the app right from the beginning.