+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Hi! Everyone:
I don't know if I'm posting my question in the right section. But, I'm sponsoring my husband via the Outland spousal route. I'm a Canadian citizen and he's an American citizen. The on-line application status states "permanent residency in progress". It's now been over 15 months and we still have no response.
My husband has a son from a previous relationship and we were unable to obtain his son's medical exam. Apparently, this is what's holding back our application. But, we won't be able to obtain the medical exam. We have exhausted our efforts and therefore, can anyone help us and give us some advise at to what to do next.
This is so frustrating and it's taking so long for things to get processed.
Please help us. Thank you again for any advise you may have.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Siempreamor said:
Hi! Everyone:
I don't know if I'm posting my question in the right section. But, I'm sponsoring my husband via the Outland spousal route. I'm a Canadian citizen and he's an American citizen. The on-line application status states "permanent residency in progress". It's now been over 15 months and we still have no response.
My husband has a son from a previous relationship and we were unable to obtain his son's medical exam. Apparently, this is what's holding back our application. But, we won't be able to obtain the medical exam. We have exhausted our efforts and therefore, can anyone help us and give us some advise at to what to do next.
This is so frustrating and it's taking so long for things to get processed.
Please help us. Thank you again for any advise you may have.
i would recommend starting with the sponsor's MP and seeing if they can get insight about the hold up and whether you should expect an interview request. it is quite common to get an interview request when there is a dependent issue. If the MP can not offer any help, then i would recommend finding a good immigration attorney that is familiar with dependent issues during spousal sponsorship. When was the last request from CIC? Has the applicant received any emails or letters about an interview in LA? What has been sent to CIC about exhausting your efforts to obtain a medical exam for the child?

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
We have done a declaration letter indicating that my husband's son would not be included in the application process. We do have a representative. But, our lawyer hasn't been able to get much information either.
As a Canadian citizen I can contact my MP of the province where I live and see if he/she can get more information for us.
This is just extremely exhausting and frustrating. It's actually been 16 months now as we submitted our application in Febraury of 2015.
My husband attempted to visit his son to obtain his son's medical exam, but the mother doesn't believe it's necessary as she doesn't want him to move to Canada in the future. We have tried and would like to submit our application as is.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Siempreamor said:
Our application didn't go to LA. Our application went to Ottawa for processing.
right, all US applications go to Ottawa. However, interviews for US applicants are held in LA. Usually dependent issues like this trigger an interview request.

I would recommend calling your MP. MPs can be helpful in pushing files along that have been stalled. While they can't speed up the processing,they can at least get it pulled and see what's going on.

mak31086

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN 11, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 26, 2016
Hi All,

I got open work permit through spousal sponsorship and my PR application is currently under processing. I am currently unemployed and looking for a job. My Spouse is a PR and currently working full time in Ontario with all health benefits from his employer and I am also covered under his insurance benefits. I am looking for some advice to obtain Ontario health card. When I approached service ontario, they informed me that for temporary worker has to work full time and employed with the employer for atleast six months to get ontario Health card under OHIP.

Please let me know, if there is any way that I can get Ontario healthcard? Next question will be, even though I am covered by my Spouse insurance benefits from his employer, Can I utilize those medical benefits without ontario health card? Please advise. Thanks!!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mak31086 said:
Hi All,

I got open work permit through spousal sponsorship and my PR application is currently under processing. I am currently unemployed and looking for a job. My Spouse is a PR and currently working full time in Ontario with all health benefits from his employer and I am also covered under his insurance benefits. I am looking for some advice to obtain Ontario health card. When I approached service ontario, they informed me that for temporary worker has to work full time and employed with the employer for atleast six months to get ontario Health card under OHIP.

Please let me know, if there is any way that I can get Ontario healthcard? Next question will be, even though I am covered by my Spouse insurance benefits from his employer, Can I utilize those medical benefits without ontario health card? Please advise. Thanks!!
this was already answered in another thread. as stated there, please do not repost the same question multiple times at the same time.

CABBA

Jun 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I hope that i'm posting in the right place. I've been searching my way through this thread and have got a lot of good information, but as always my situation is unique, and so I thought to post it here. I am from Canada and my wife is from Thailand. We were married in Canada about 1 year ago, at that point she came here with a 5 year multiple entry visitor visa (TRV) and we were both living in Thailand. This year we have returned to Canada and are planning to stay indefinitely and as such we are planning to apply for a PR for her. I should note that we also have a son, he is 3 months old, was born in Thailand and has both Thai and Canadian citizenship.

So all 3 of us (my wife, son and I) are here in Canada. My son and I entered Canada with our Canadian passports, my wife entered Canada with her Thai passport and TRV which is valid for approximately 4 more years.

Based on information posted here, we are first considering whether or not to start the inland or outland process. I have looked for average processing times for the various methods and locations that i will have to deal with. According to the CIC website, PR application for Thais are handled in Singapore. This is what i found regarding processing times:

• Spouse or common-law partner living inside Canada - 26 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored - Includes initial eligibility assessment (approval in principle): 17 months.
  • Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada - Singapore - 12 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor: 43 days
  • Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada - Thailand - 29 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor: 43 days

This confuses me because I don't understand why average processing times for Thailand more than twice that of the average processing times for Singapore, when the applications for Thais are handled in Singapore.

I feel strongly that we will be able to convince CIC that our relationship is genuine and as such i feel that there is little chance of an interview being requested. I also like the option of being able to travel throughout the process, so I am leaning towards the outland process, however the processing time for Thailand worries me. Does anyone have any input or ideas about this. Is there any input from my side during the application process, that can ensure that our application is handled in Singapore or do they decide in Mississauga where to send the application without my knowing?

Also i'm wondering what my wife should do when she nears 6 months from the date we entered. I understand that we can apply for an extension. How long is the extension for? If I inform them that we are making an outland PR application at the time that we apply for the extension, will they take that into account.

Reactions: newbie19

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
CABBA said:
Hello everyone. I hope that i'm posting in the right place. I've been searching my way through this thread and have got a lot of good information, but as always my situation is unique, and so I thought to post it here. I am from Canada and my wife is from Thailand. We were married in Canada about 1 year ago, at that point she came here with a 5 year multiple entry visitor visa (TRV) and we were both living in Thailand. This year we have returned to Canada and are planning to stay indefinitely and as such we are planning to apply for a PR for her. I should note that we also have a son, he is 3 months old, was born in Thailand and has both Thai and Canadian nationality.

So all 3 of us (my wife, son and I) are here in Canada. My son and I entered Canada with our Canadian passports, my wife entered Canada with her Thai passport and TRV which is valid for approximately 4 more years.

Based on information posted here, we are first considering whether or not to start the inland or outland process. I have looked for average processing times for the various methods and locations that i will have to deal with. According to the CIC website, PR application for Thais are handled in Singapore. This is what i found regarding processing times:

• Spouse or common-law partner living inside Canada - 26 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored - Includes initial eligibility assessment (approval in principle): 17 months.
  • Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada - Singapore - 12 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor: 43 days
  • Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada - Thailand - 29 month(s) - Includes assessment of sponsor: 43 days

This confuses me because I don't understand why average processing times for Thailand more than twice that of the average processing times for Thailand, when the applications for Thais are handled in Singapore.

I feel strongly that we will be able to convince CIC that our relationship is genuine and as such i feel that there is little chance of an interview being requested. I also like the option of being able to travel throughout the process, so I am leaning towards the outland process, however the processing time for Thailand worries me. Does anyone have any input or ideas about this. Is there any input from my side during the application process, that can ensure that our application is handled in Singapore or do they decide in Mississauga where to send the application without my knowing?

Also i'm wondering what my wife should do when she nears 6 months from the date we entered. I understand that we can apply for an extension. How long is the extension for? If I inform them that we are making an outland PR application at the time that we apply for the extension, will they take that into account.
Hi,

You should definitely apply Outland. The processing times posted are inaccurate. For a straight forward case processed through SVO you are looking at 5-8 months likely. An applicant from Thailand applied in Oct and recieved passport request roughly two weeks ago. The times posted are not how long it will take to process your application, it is how long CIC processed 80% of applications within. Thailand among other SVO countries like Vietnam, Bangladesh, and Cambodia have longer posted processing times due in part to the amount of marriage fraud in those countries, hence a higher interview rate. Also, CIC's ability to correspond with the concerning governments of the applicants country also play a part. Some countries are slower than others to providing necessary information about the applicants. Your wife can apply for an extension, I would suggest paper file opposed to online as she would have implied status as it processes, and yes with a PR app in process and a valid visa for 4 years it's likely to be approved. If you apply outland your file will go to SVO. You will recieve AOR1 and SA from CPC-M, the your wife will recieve AOR2 from SVO.

There is also a SVO thread if you would like to join and look at some timelines..

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/singapore-timeline-t28993.11925.html

Reactions: newbie19

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CABBA said:
I've been searching my way through this thread and have got a lot of good information, but as always my situation is unique, and so I thought to post it here. I am from Canada and my wife is from Thailand.

Is there any input from my side during the application process, that can ensure that our application is handled in Singapore or do they decide in Mississauga where to send the application without my knowing?

Hi

Your situation is actually a very common one.

Your app will go to Singapore. As said above, the actual processing times are much less than what is posted on the website.

Extensions are generally valid for 6 months. You can ask for one year to cover her stay until the PR app is processed; with proof of the PR app and proof of sufficient finances, there should be no issues.

CABBA

Jun 20, 2016
ImABule said:
You should definitely apply Outland.
canuck_in_uk said:
Your app will go to Singapore. As said above, the actual processing times are much less than what is posted on the website.
Thanks for your responses.

For my wife applying via the outland process from within Canada, is her residential address our address in Thailand or the address she is staying at while in Canada.

As we are both here in Canada at this time, there is no one at our residence in Thailand to receive correspondence at this time. For mailing address i will obviously put our address here in Canada, but I was unsure what to put as her residential address on the form.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
CABBA said:

For my wife applying via the outland process from within Canada, is her residential address our address in Thailand or the address she is staying at while in Canada.

As we are both here in Canada at this time, there is no one at our residence in Thailand to receive correspondence at this time. For mailing address i will obviously put our address here in Canada, but I was unsure what to put as her residential address on the form.
Canadian address.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
duggal2490 said:
Hi,
I am in the process of applying for Spouse Sponsorship.
Is there need of changing address on my wife's passport.
No need to change.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CABBA said:

her residential address can be either or. it is perfectly acceptable for outland applicants to have a residential address in canada. this does not affect the application. if she considers herself a resident here, then put that. if she's a visitor, then she would probably put her home address for residential, and the canadian address she is staying at as her mailing. Her approval information will be mailed to the address listed in the application.