+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

joansutley

Jul 7, 2015
Hi Im having problem about getting my NBI in the philippines.,I already have the form no.5 i just want to know on how to pay it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zoeh21 said:
i have queries regards of application of common-law sponsorship.
I am permanent resident here in Canada since December 4, 2014.
I would like to sponsor my common-law fro permanent residency.
Our relationship started last June 21, 2012. we lived together November 1, 2012 up to now present, its been almost 3 years.
My concerned now, during my application i put my marital status single not common-law.
if i am going to sponsor him, does it affect to the common law sponsorship?
pls need your help.
we have lots of supporting documents to proof that our relationship is genuine.
You can't sponsor him since you failed to declare him as your common law partner before you became a PR and landed as a single individual. You should have included him in your application. Unfortunately it's too late now. If he wants to come to Canada he will have to immigrate on his own.

guyofthecoast

Jul 8, 2015
Hi there, I am not sure if my question has been addressed within this forum, but I'll ask anyways.

Here is my current situation. My husband and I married this past March in the USA. He is America. Now, my husband the American has two DUI's making him inadmissible to Canada, therefore I opted to apply for my green card. I have recently discussed my situation with other people that are doing immigration and have spoken to a lawyer, and they are advising me that because we are married, I could still sponsor him and that the CIC would overlook his DUI's if we can PROVE he has been rehabilitated even though the 5 year mark has not occurred for rehabilitation. (It has only been a year since his conviction of DUI, both DUI's happened within a year from each other)
The one lawyer we paid for a consult said we would have to apply for a humanitarian and compassionate sponsorship which is apparently his only option, but all the forms I've found on the CIC website, say H&C sponsorship is from within Canada only.

I know he can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, and if we can prove the the officer at the boarder that he is rehabilitated they COULD allow him to visit. But he would have to apply for this every time he visited which also, costs $200 for every TRP.

What are my options in this situation.

Thank you kindly!

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
Its been over 10 years for my American Husband...it took 2.5 years to a TRP and when we did get it they made it valid for three years...it expires in Sept of this year...when we applied a million years ago he could apply for an extension , that is not an option any more and even though its been more then enough time and he has been "rehabbed" we applied for another one cause we do not want any problems at the border..this application was sent to New York as directed by the CIC site...we travel back to Canada at least once a year...We applied for a PR April 2014 and as per case notes our application sat from August 2014 til June 2015 and no one touched it...On June first 2015 we rec'd a request for Meds because our up front Meds expired...we thought this was a good sign cause as per the CIC site and people experience this means this is the last thing needed before a PR is going to be issued....Well yesterday we rec'd an email indicating that we need to send an entire new Rehad application to CIC LA with all the fees, note we have a application for a TRP in New York which we sent in June and they have cashed our cheque and now LA wants all the same info plus the fees...The one thing we have learned is when CIC puts hoops in front of you jump through..Your future is in their hands!

mohan99

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Guys.. I have a few questions. I thank you for taking time out to read this

1: While sponsoring my spouse (Outland) in India, Am i allowed to go visit her in India for a stretch of 6 months?

2: After Landing and getting PR myself, I shall go back>>>marry her>> come back and sponsor her.. so in this case>>
A: Do i need to be in canada while sponsoring her
B: Can I sponsor her immediately after returning even if i DOn't have a job?

Can you please help and guide.

veetee1616

Jul 8, 2015
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. My husband sponsored me4years ago and we have been approved for our first stage. So i already have my health card. My question is.... How dow i apply for a work permit so i can work while waiting for the final stage approval? I have a study permit but that expires by the end of this month. I want to work off campus and even though i have a sin no....my employerr is still asking for a work permit. Pls helppp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
guyofthecoast said:
I have recently discussed my situation with other people that are doing immigration and have spoken to a lawyer, and they are advising me that because we are married, I could still sponsor him and that the CIC would overlook his DUI's if we can PROVE he has been rehabilitated even though the 5 year mark has not occurred for rehabilitation. (It has only been a year since his conviction of DUI, both DUI's happened within a year from each other)
These people are wrong. He is inadmissible to Canada period. This includes spousal sponsorship - the DUIs will certainly not be overlooked. Please don't hire whatever consultants / lawyers told you he could still apply - they are clearly unfamiliar with Canadian immigration rules and should not be giving advice on the matter. Your husband also does not fit the profile of someone who would be accepted under H&C - forget this path.

You will have to wait until five years have passed since the completion of all sentences / penalties for the DUIs until you will be able to sponsor him. Until then you really have two choices: (1) Try applying for a Temporary Resident Permit which as you know would allow your husband to enter Canada temporarily even though he is inadmissible; (2) Wait out the inadmissibility period in the US and forget about Canada for the next few years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mohan99 said:
1: While sponsoring my spouse (Outland) in India, Am i allowed to go visit her in India for a stretch of 6 months?

2: After Landing and getting PR myself, I shall go back>>>marry her>> come back and sponsor her.. so in this case>>
A: Do i need to be in canada while sponsoring her
B: Can I sponsor her immediately after returning even if i DOn't have a job?
1. No - you can't. Since you are a PR (rahter than a citizen) you must be living in Canada to sponsor her and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed and until it is finalized. Occasional short trips (e.g. three weeks) outside of Canada are fine. Anything longer and you risk having the application refused.
2. A: Yes - see above. You need to be in Canada while sponsoring her application. B: Yes - you can sponsor her immediately even if you don't have a job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
veetee1616 said:
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. My husband sponsored me4years ago and we have been approved for our first stage. So i already have my health card. My question is.... How dow i apply for a work permit so i can work while waiting for the final stage approval? I have a study permit but that expires by the end of this month. I want to work off campus and even though i have a sin no....my employerr is still asking for a work permit. Pls helppp
Depends. Did you apply inland or outland?

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
Scylla.. You are so right!

honeymelon

Jul 8, 2015
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
05-06-2017
How long it takes for the interview link isn't loading for me. I'm planning on applying for outland sydney australia and if I am required for an interview, how long do I have to wait. Does my spouse need to be with me?

Ang-mic

Star Member
Jul 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2015; 02 June 2015 Application received
AOR Received.
13 August 2015 Sponsorship approval received
File Transfer...
4 August 2015 to manila visa office
Med's Done....
05 May 2015
Passport Req..
17 August 2015; 19 August 2015 passport sent
VISA ISSUED...
Before my birthday pls
LANDED..........
Before my hubbies birthday pls
Hi i am new here may applicant po

cgt_13

Jul 9, 2015
Hi,

My boyfriend of 3 years has been living in the US illegally for about 5 years now. He first entered the States on a tourist visa and long overextended his stay. I am a Canadian citizen and we are going to be married in a few months. I want to sponsor him to come to Canada but I was wondering if it would be possible to do that when he is currently living illegally in the US? Him moving back to his home country is not an option we want to even consider so our only option is for him to apply from the US. I read that he would need a police clearance. He has no criminal record but we are worried that if they find out that he has been living in the US illegally, they will deport him. I just want to know how risky it will be for him and what other procedures we need to know. Any tips or advice will really help and will be much appreciated.

Thank you...

pamtat

Jul 9, 2015
I NEED HELP!!!!

Please does anyone can help me?
my husband is an illegal immigrant and i am canadian. And i m scared to file my taxes because i don't want to affect him or get him to be deported. we have a daughter together. his is not working either am i at this moment.
but my point is: if i file my taxes is gonna red flag him? or can i file it without any problem as i need my taxes in order to apply for his immigration.
if any one can help it would be appreciated.
thanks

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Anyone interested in reviewing past cases from the IRB hearings can find into here. It sheds light particularly on those who do not meet their residency requirements...

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/

C.