+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

waitingforlife

Mar 12, 2014
zardoz said:
Actually, there is another option... It's a little more complicated, but it might work for you.

Don't land on the 8th. Travel in on your visitor visa. Then travel to the USA. Return to Canada on your IM-1 immigration visa. Land when you arrive back in Canada.

Thanks for all your advices. This is really weird. Thanks!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
shward6 said:
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the board and hoping that someone can shed some light on how best for me to proceed with my spousal sponsorship. I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is South Korean. We've been together for just over four years. (I'm 29 y/o and he is 32 y/o) I was living in Seoul when we met and moved back to Toronto about a year and a half ago to get myself re-established (work-wise), save money and find a place to live before he moves here to join me. I have a steady job right now so we're planning on him coming to Canada this summer. At that time, we'll get married and apply for the spousal visa. Currently, South Koreans can stay in Canada for up to 6 months without a visitor's visa but I've been told that my boyfriend could have difficulty getting through customs if he specifies his intention to marry while in Canada BUT if he doesn't specify his intention to marry then this could come to be viewed as a potential red flag if it is discovered in the application process. It appears that the processing times in Manilla (outland) are shorter than processing times here. (inland) Does it make sense for my boyfriend to come here, get married and then apply outland? Or should we apply inland? Any advice would be most appreciated!
It's not illegal to get married in Canada. He doesn't need to volunteer this information, but if asked further he should state he is getting married. They can often tell when you are lying or trying to hide something, so better to just be honest. As long as he has a return ticket dated for 6 months or sooner, and tells the immigration officer he is prepared to leave after 6 months, then he should be ok.

Usually for visa exempt applicants applying outland through Manila is better. He can then come and go from Canada as he pleases on his visa-exempt passport. With inland he would basically be stuck in Canada for around 1.5 years. Just be aware he will most likely be unable to work for the duration of outland processing (so up to around 1 year).

Also he will need some documents from Korea for the PR application. He could bring Korea family relation certificates in advance. Possibly also police report but they are only valid for 3 months from issue so may need to wait until you are more ready to submit the app.

shward6

Apr 1, 2014
Thank you Rob_TO! Will my boyfriend be able to update his family tree from Canada once we're married? (is it possible to do this at the embassy?) Or would we have to have it translated and sent back to Korea? Your help is most appreciated! :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
shward6 said:
Thank you Rob_TO! Will my boyfriend be able to update his family tree from Canada once we're married? (is it possible to do this at the embassy?) Or would we have to have it translated and sent back to Korea? Your help is most appreciated! :)
The guide states you need the following for Korean citizens:
For nationals of Korea:
• Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English of your Family
Relation Certificate. This document should have been recently issued.
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English

However as you will be getting married in Canada, then I'm not sure if you need to get a marriage relation certificate as you'll be submitting marriage certificate from Canada (we did common-law so never had to deal with marriage stuff). And the family info certificate I believe just shows info like parents, brothers, sisters etc.

Any docs in Korean you'll need to get officially translated to english to include in the app.

elegant.heena

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

It is required for form - Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) that we need to fill up this form in our native language as well.
Are we required to fill all the info in our native language like address , marital status , place of birth, ...OR
we just need to write our names in our Native Language ....all the other info like place of birth and Present Address can be in English.

plz help..

Heena

Inder0749

Apr 2, 2014
Re: Spousal sponsorship - Ques regarding Birth Certificate

Doc Checklist:
2:
IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
Birth and/or baptism certificate
Note:If the birth is registered late, include the original baptism certificate and other original documents establishing identity such as:
•old school records (Fifth class, Middle standard and Matriculation certificate), and
•Voter’s ID card.

Hi

Under NOTE in this requirement, it says if birth is registered late ( my wife applied for her Birth Certificate last week,,,will this be considered as late registration??) If yes, do I need to send her ORIGINAL Voter ID and ORIGINAL 10th class certificate?? or I can send a notarized copy of voter ID and 10 class ceretificate?

If we send originals, where will CIC send them back? to me in Canada or to my wife?

Please provide some insight

Thanks

PALAKI

Star Member
Dec 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
18-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-09-2013
hi,
I Sent the original matriculation certificate as my birth was registered late. Also my husband sent the notarized copies as well. They return back the originals along with the passport. I advise you to send the original and for your satisfaction, notarized copy as well

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
elegant.heena said:
Hello Everyone,

It is required for form - Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) that we need to fill up this form in our native language as well.
Are we required to fill all the info in our native language like address , marital status , place of birth, ...OR
we just need to write our names in our Native Language ....all the other info like place of birth and Present Address can be in English.

plz help..

Heena
You just need to provide them all of the names in your native script, names only, not all the other stuff. I'm assuming they need it when they do background checks.

Doc123

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Lvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
File Transfer...
July 2014
Passport Req..
Inshallah soon
Doc123 said:
I am 26 now and i am going to sponsor him as he tried to apply for pr years ago primarily it took the immigration office 6 yr to review his file nd then secondly they refused his application under skill category by only 3 points i am canadian

I am a canadian citizen
And i would like to return above are my concerns if u can help me out
Thank you for ur reply but for pakistani people the processing time is so long lole 3 years .. Is there any other way or faster way to make my husband get his pr so we can both shift there asap?
You also mention to get a letter from parent or friend about accompdation... What do they exactly hav to rite? And do they hav to attach their pay slip nd income along with it or simply. Letter will do?
My brothers are studying there do u think he can write a letter to for me?
And a job offer uou said its good but do i need to sign it?
Nd final ques my husband want to sens his notarized birth certificate but the guide is asking for original wT shall we do?
Thank you in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Doc123 said:
Thank you for ur reply but for pakistani people the processing time is so long lole 3 years .. Is there any other way or faster way to make my husband get his pr so we can both shift there asap?
You also mention to get a letter from parent or friend about accompdation... What do they exactly hav to rite? And do they hav to attach their pay slip nd income along with it or simply. Letter will do?
My brothers are studying there do u think he can write a letter to for me?
And a job offer uou said its good but do i need to sign it?
Nd final ques my husband want to sens his notarized birth certificate but the guide is asking for original wT shall we do?
Thank you in advance
Yes, the office at Islamabad is very slow. There is nothing that you can do to speed them up. Your only other alternatives are to move to a different part of the world as workers and apply through the Visa Office that serves that country. However, CIC can still insist that the application be processed in your husbands country of citizenship instead. The other alternative is for you both to get to Canada some other way, such as him being a temporary worker or student, and then apply "inland".

No, the support letters do not have to prove income etc. they only have to show knowledge and support for your plans to return to Canada.

If a Guide states "original", it MUST be original. Some regions insist on this due to prevalent document fraud.

Doc123

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Lvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
File Transfer...
July 2014
Passport Req..
Inshallah soon
zardoz said:
Yes, the office at Islamabad is very slow. There is nothing that you can do to speed them up. Your only other alternatives are to move to a different part of the world as workers and apply through the Visa Office that serves that country. However, CIC can still insist that the application be processed in your husbands country of citizenship instead. The other alternative is for you both to get to Canada some other way, such as him being a temporary worker or student, and then apply "inland".

No, the support letters do not have to prove income etc. they only have to show knowledge and support for your plans to return to Canada.

If a Guide states "original", it MUST be original. Some regions insist on this due to prevalent document fraud.
Thank you for your quick reply but i have checked online that currently all the files for family class has been fed to london visa office nd so probably my husband documents might b proceeded there
Will it b faster then?
And if any document is missing will they ask for those doc or they will return back the application?
And one ahould apply again?
And if we provide all the prove they need do u think they will expedite the process or it will take 32 months?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Doc123 said:
Thank you for your quick reply but i have checked online that currently all the files for family class has been fed to london visa office nd so probably my husband documents might b proceeded there
Will it b faster then?
And if any document is missing will they ask for those doc or they will return back the application?
And one ahould apply again?
And if we provide all the prove they need do u think they will expedite the process or it will take 32 months?
Don't get your hopes up too much. Only a small part of the processing is done in London I believe, probably the security checks. Then it goes back to Islamabad to be finished. You would have to ask on one of the Pakistan specific threads for further information on this aspect.

If the application is "complete" according to the main AND region-specific checklists, it probably will not be returned. Any further documents will be requested.

The 32 months is the time taken for 80% of applications to be finished. It does NOT mean that any particular application will take that long. 80% will be faster than that. The remaining 20% will take longer.

LGM

Apr 3, 2014
Hi

I have a question, I am very confused and I although I already called, they were not very clear on their answer at my cic.
Almost 2 years ago I came to Canada on a student visa, to live with my bf. I lived with my partner and then after my student visa expired I got a work permit. Then I applied for the sponsorship 8 months ago. 4 months ago I got married and then when my work permit was going to expire I sent them to the office in vegreville my open work permit form and additional documents like the house I bought here in Canada and the marriage certificate ( all this as followed by the instructions given by the Immigration office on the helpline). The officer also told me I would only receive this once the 8 months had past of the inside canada sponsorship application. Its now been 8 months and 1 week and I still dont have an answer.
Then yesterday I received the work permit for 1 year, without the first stage approval, so when I called, today, they said that there was a mistake, because my case was transferred to the office in Misissauga and the work permit came from Vegreville, so its unvalid, as they gave me a work permit that had nothing to do with my sponsorhsip. Then she said that she had made a note on my file and if I didnt have an answer or a call in 1 week, to call back.

I am worried.... and I dont know if this is normal or what happened. I am left now with no work permit and still no answer for the 1st stage approval. Please help :(.... ???

msbigshot

Jul 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
11-03-2015
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
File Transfer...
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
25-04-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
29-07-29
Okay, checking my t's and dotting my i's here before the medical is done and were good to go--if I have no dependents then do I not file nor send in the additional dependents form or do I send it but explain that it's N/A.. Also if were not using a representative do I also leave that form out. I feel I can never be careful enough or ask enough questions. I don't want any delays..
Thanks for all the answers thus far-this is an amazing group of people helping!