28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Hi guys

I am just curious for spousal sponsorship. What could be the main reason or common reasons for spousal sponsorship refusal?

On my side, both my husband and I are genuinely in love recognized by both side of the family, we are not on welfare, we cohabitaed since our first meeting/dating phase Sept 2016. Engaged in Dec 2017 and got married in January 2018. We have been to places just us and with friends and family, no criminal records for the both of us . We share expense on rent, phone, internet and groceries. But the thing is we have no insurance to prove that we both recognize each other as spouse such as health insurance (he has Ohip but I don't have), and no car insurance since we have no car yet. What could go wrong? Thank you so much and I am hoping for a response
Sounds like you don’t have any red flags. Read through some of the appeal threads to read some stories, but most refuses are because the visa officer believes the marriage is not genuine. Things that make them think this include, lack of evidence of relationship, parents and friends unaware of relationship, large age gaps, multiple divorces or past failed sponsorships, major cultural differences, very short courtships, one person doing all the financial support, and they look more closely at particular countries they believe to be high risk for marriage fraud. If they suspect these things you would be called for an interview. Your insurance should not be a problem. Another reason for refusal is misrepresentation if you lie in your application.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Sounds like you don’t have any red flags. Read through some of the appeal threads to read some stories, but most refuses are because the visa officer believes the marriage is not genuine. Things that make them think this include, lack of evidence of relationship, parents and friends unaware of relationship, large age gaps, multiple divorces or past failed sponsorships, major cultural differences, very short courtships, one person doing all the financial support, and they look more closely at particular countries they believe to be high risk for marriage fraud. If they suspect these things you would be called for an interview. Your insurance should not be a problem. Another reason for refusal is misrepresentation if you lie in your application.
Thank you so much! That's what I thought too but I don't want to be over confident on our application. I'm not quite sure about short courtship tho. Well to say the least, we dated after two weeks of first meeting with each other then the rest was mentioned above. What else can be proof of relationship? They only allow 20 pictures tho because we got married less than a year when In fact we have a lot of pictures together. Also I'm from the Philippines and I don't know if that's high risk country. Came here as an international student and we met at the student housing where we both lived until today but we will be getting our new place this July. So i don't know man we have every document that could prove that we are legit so it's really up to the visa officer to decide Right?

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi another question

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi another question
Sorry lol another question another question,

My husband will sponsor me (inland) and we are planning to submit the application by June. I am currently holding a post graduate work permit but it says there that it is also an open work permit. It will expire this november 22. Obviously, I want to apply for an open work permit since PGWP cannot be extended. Question is, should I apply for a NEW open work permit together with the spousal sponsorship even if I am still holding a valid open work permit (PGWP)? Or is there a change of status for my OPW?

I just need help for everything because we don’t want to use a lawyer. We did however consulted an immigration consultant over the phone for 10 minutes who only answered YES AND NO everytime I asked and she costed $75!! So not worth it

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Thank you so much! That's what I thought too but I don't want to be over confident on our application. I'm not quite sure about short courtship tho. Well to say the least, we dated after two weeks of first meeting with each other then the rest was mentioned above. What else can be proof of relationship? They only allow 20 pictures tho because we got married less than a year when In fact we have a lot of pictures together. Also I'm from the Philippines and I don't know if that's high risk country. Came here as an international student and we met at the student housing where we both lived until today but we will be getting our new place this July. So i don't know man we have every document that could prove that we are legit so it's really up to the visa officer to decide Right?
Your story sounds solid. I wouldn’t worry :) Short courtship is often like a Canadian visits a country and spends a few weeks there, meets someone and leaves, and returns and marries them a few months later, or if a couple has met online maybe they’ve only met in person twice before getting married etc. Or gets married after 3 months of knowing someone. But even then, these can still be approved as no one says you can’t do this, it’s just going to make a VO look more carefully.

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Sorry lol another question another question,

My husband will sponsor me (inland) and we are planning to submit the application by June. I am currently holding a post graduate work permit but it says there that it is also an open work permit. It will expire this november 22. Obviously, I want to apply for an open work permit since PGWP cannot be extended. Question is, should I apply for a NEW open work permit together with the spousal sponsorship even if I am still holding a valid open work permit (PGWP)? Or is there a change of status for my OPW?

I just need help for everything because we don’t want to use a lawyer. We did however consulted an immigration consultant over the phone for 10 minutes who only answered YES AND NO everytime I asked and she costed $75!! So not worth it
I’m not sure about this as I haven’t dealt with it but I think I saw an almost identical question on here in another thread yesterday, I’ll look for you. Or maybe someone else can answer in the mean time.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Your story sounds solid. I wouldn’t worry :) Short courtship is often like a Canadian visits a country and spends a few weeks there, meets someone and leaves, and returns and marries them a few months later, or if a couple has met online maybe they’ve only met in person twice before getting married etc. Or gets married after 3 months of knowing someone. But even then, these can still be approved as no one says you can’t do this, it’s just going to make a VO look more carefully.
True! Well like I said it's up to the VISA OFFICER to decide. The least I can do is pray lol thanks again! Cheers!

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
I’m not sure about this as I haven’t dealt with it but I think I saw an almost identical question on here in another thread yesterday, I’ll look for you. Or maybe someone else can answer in the mean time.
Okay thank you so much I was also looking for some answers too but unfortunately still couldn't find it

Ashunagar

May 22, 2018
Hi fellows,

I am a Canadian permanent resident. I am the sponsor and I recently applied for the spousal sponsorship for my wife under the family class sponsorship (spouse living outside Canada), haven’t got any file number yet

My question, Is it possible for my wife to come and visit me in Canada on a visitor visa. Will that effect our file?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello

I also applied for my wife from Canada. She is currently in India and we submitted file on Mid March and we got the file number.. Did you apply for visitor visa ?

Ashunagar

May 22, 2018
Hey Guys,

I have a tricky question about spousal sponsorship.
I had applied for PR for my wife back in 2014 and it was issued in 2015 but then we got divorced and she never came to canada.
Now my question is since she didn't come to canada at all and didn't use her PR, would I be able to sponsor someone else if I get married again?
Also do I have to wait for some time before I can do that?
Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks,
AK
not for 5 years

pnkj

Sep 25, 2015
Hello

I also applied for my wife from Canada. She is currently in India and we submitted file on Mid March and we got the file number.. Did you apply for visitor visa ?
Not yet. We are still waiting for the file number. What’s your timeline?
I mean when did you get your file number?

Last edited:

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi all,

My husband and I got married in january of this year. I wanted to renew my passport with his last name since it will expire this November but it will take approximately 6 months to have it changed in my country and we got our marriage certificate in March. So if I will do the name change, it will be done by September and my spousal application will be submitted by October and mind you my open work permit (PGWP) with my passport will expire on November. Should I be worried that my new passport that will be used for the spousal sponsorship that I will submit by June is still under my lastname before marriage?
And lastly, I am still holding an open work permit (PGWP) until November. When I submit my spousal application, will I also submit an OWP application or just change status or extend my OWP/PGWP?

ktailor

May 22, 2018
I am hoping someone can help me answer a few questions that I have regarding sponsoring my future wife as I have not been able to find a concrete answer online.

I am Canadian citizen and my fiance is a US citizen. We are having a big wedding with family and friends in September in the US, and then she is planning on moving to Canada sometime in October. We are considering getting married in the court house in the US sooner so we can start the application process. This would then make it an outland application.

So here are my questions:

1. Will she be allowed to enter Canada and live here while we wait for the application to be processed? She will not be working during this time and I will be supporting her financially

2. Can she move all of her things to Canada?

3. Can she leave Canada once she enters and comes back while her application is processing?

4. Would it better to wait until October when she comes to Canada and apply for an inland application instead?